Help me identify this American Std Shower Trim

Users who are viewing this thread

dbbarron

Reaction score
Trying to replace/update this 1986 shower trim - It is marked American Standard. Have not taken it apart to ID the underlying valve. Any thoughts? Can the trim be updated?

Regards
db

Attachments

• showertrim.jpg
    showertrim.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 355

dbbarron

Reaction score
That's definitely it!

Are you aware of whether replacement trim is currently available (either the same or different style)

Also, I have two of these in my home, and on one, the stops have failed. Is this replace/repairable?

db

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That's definitely it!

Are you aware of whether replacement trim is currently available (either the same or different style)

Also, I have two of these in my home, and on one, the stops have failed. Is this replace/repairable?

db

Give these guys a call http://www.justfaucets.com/ If they do not have what you need no one can get it. I have used these guys 100's of times to help me out with older faucets and trim.

dbbarron

Reaction score
Per American Standard, no parts available, try third parties.

Will try your recommendation- American Std also recommended Plumbing Parts Depot.

Here is the real question.....
We are considering either a partial or full bathroom renovation. If we do the partial renovation and leave the tub, tiled tub walls, and existing valve and plumbing, am I going to find myself ripping out tile to change the valve after it breaks and no parts are available (likely the day after I finish the renovation). Does it make more sense to gut and update everything rather than remodel around a 20 year old valve, cast iron tub and tiled walls (which look fine -just needs regrout). I was considering losing the tub in favor of a large stall shower anyway.

db

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a tub/shower. At that age, the valve may not have the safety features of current designs, so for that reason alone, you may want to trash it. Now, there are remodeling eschutions that will cover the larger hole required to remove and replace what you have if you can't get to it from the backside.

This Old House did a retrofit last month...you might be able to get that issue on-demand or off the web and see what and how they did it. Bottom line, you don't need to tear out the wall to put in a new valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks