sound-deadening qualities of insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I had to have the cast-iron drain lines in my bathroom replaced, and the plumber used the black plastic pipes. It's much noisier than the cast-iron! I'm going to replace the drywall, will putting regular fiberglass insulation help to deaden the sound?

Thanks,
Joy

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it will. There is also board that can go under the drywall that has sound reducing qualities...

Chris8796

Reaction score
Mass is the key to deadening sound, that is why cast iron is effective. You can buy high denisty membranes to wrap pipes or you can get sheets for behind drywall. Both are somewhat expensive. Fiberglass insulation has limited ability, but better than nothing.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Thanks, Chris and GSS! I will ask at the hardware store and see what's least expensive. I only have about 12 feet that need to be covered, but it will be worth the expense, especially since the drywall is down already, might as well do it right while I have the chance!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks