Tub shoe gaskets...can I stack them?

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I had a general question about the gasket used between the tub drain and the tub (tub shoe gasket I think)?

I was dryfitting everything before I concrete everything in and in a steady state, my tub shoe is offset from the bottom of the tub a little more than I planned for. I have two of the rubber gaskets....can I stack them, or can I get extra thick ones? The one I have is about 1/4"...I think I saw 3/8" ones...but 1/2" may work better.

I am assuming stacking may be ok, since the interface to the tub will still be fine. I will use plumbers putty on the topside of the drain.

TIA...Mike

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Stacking gaskets is never recommended. Very high chance you will have a leak between the two.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You probably will not find a thicker one, but if the drain doesn't fit, the overflow should not either, if you preassembled them properly.That is why we use a tub box, and put the drain in place AFTER the floor is poured.

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
You probably will not find a thicker one, but if the drain doesn't fit, the overflow should not either, if you preassembled them properly.That is why we use a tub box, and put the drain in place AFTER the floor is poured.

I found a 3/8 thick one that should work. I will check it before I pour the concrete. I have fashioned up a cardboard box, to act as a tub box. I figure I will fill it with stone to support it for the concrete pour, then remove the stones and cardboard after everything dries.

I should have thought of this before I glued everything, but I think I am in decent shape. If I have major issues I can always redo some of it.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks