Can a jet pump cavitate?

Users who are viewing this thread

mikecan

Reaction score
We have a jet pump in the basement with a horizontal line that runs to the well casing. There is a bladder tank near the pump. The pump has a 30/50 switch that hasn't been touched. Recently the water taps in the house have been ejecting a blast of air along with spurts of water. I thought that the air was coming from a damaged bladder in the pressure tank so I drained the system and removed all the pressure. The tank was very light as if it was empty and I took a tire pressure gauge and measured 27 psi in the tank. The pump takes a long time to fill the system and hesitates at approximately 35-40 psi. It eventually fills the system and gets to the 50 psi cutoff but there is a ton of air in the pipes. The well also has an old fashioned well pump on top and I can get water from the well with just a few strokes of the handle so I believe there is water in the well. Any comments? Where can I check next?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Start with the Pitcher Pump. The jet could be drawing air through it's check valve and plunger. There should be a valve under the Pitcher Pump and it should be shut off when your using the Jet Pump. It should be a ball valve so that it doesn't have packing that could also leak air under vacuum.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks