50 year old electrical service enterance

Users who are viewing this thread

Luc

Reaction score
We are doing some renovations in our 50 years old building and I would like to know if it would be a good idea to redo the electrical distribution.

Thanks,
Luc

Luc

Reaction score
Thanks GabeS for the reply.

How about the panelboards? What is usually the service life for the breakers, panleboards, and transformers?

Luc

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
50 years, it's time to upgrade.

It is rare to find equipment from 1959 that is in good shape.

MOST of the damage to the system comes frome 50 years of uinqualified people adding on crap.

It's time for a new service, panels and grounding/bonding. It's also a good time for GFCI breakers on any ungrounded recep circuits. Also, do a check of your ceiling light jboxes. 50 years of 100 watt lbulbs will really cook the wiring.

Add smokies too.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would redo the electrical if there are problems. If breakers/fuses blowing. Too many things on the same circuit. No grounded outlets. Etc.

Or if there are not any problems now, but you plan to add additional electrical loads in the future.

Or for better surge protection (grounded outlets) of electronic gizmos and maybe whole building/house/whatever surge protection.

Or if small children around, modern electrical systems are much safer with GFCI protection.

Or just because you need to bend the prongs of plugs to get them to work in the old outlets and this is a daily irritation!

Luc

Reaction score
Thank you all for your answers. I will try to get an electricien or inspector to look at the wiring/panels and give me their reccomendations.

Luc

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
50 year old service.

Alectrician-03.jpg

Upgraded service.

Alectrician-04.jpg

Side by side

Alectrician-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Much nicer!

And plenty of extra slots for the future. That's the way to do it! (Thinking ahead....)

When done, get the electrician or someone to remove the old service mast and panel. You can get a metal cutting blade for a circular saw at the hardware store and cut right through it. Then cover hole with roofing cement.

It is so easy to remove these, I don't know why people leave them up???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks