takagi K3 Propane line question

Users who are viewing this thread

jordan69s

Reaction score
Thank you for reading my post!

I have a question regarding the propane line for the heater. I currently have 3/8 solid copper for my stove working just great. The thing is that the heater needs a 3/4 line and the installer tells me I need to run one new line from the propane tank and have a "t" to feed the stove and another "t" for the new dryer and then go to the heater.

I have the feeling that he is just making more work so to get more labor. Why no simply run a straight new line from the tank to the heater and leave the 3/8 alone and simply feed the dryer from the stove connection.

Do that make more sense? The plumber store told me the takagi heaters requires a good flow of propane to work properly, and that splitting the line to feed the stove and the dryer might "starve" the heater....

I am sure you already figure out I am from a small town :)

Any suggestions or ideas

Many thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typical stove BTU, maybe 60K, same for a typical dryer...typical tankless system 200K. I would think if you ran a new dedicated line from the tank (would need possibly udgrade the regulator there), that would work unless the existing line is not currently up to code. If it is, then replacing it all makes sense. I'd guess 3/8" is marginal for what you have now, but I'm guessing.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thank you for reading my post!

I have a question regarding the propane line for the heater. I currently have 3/8 solid copper for my stove working just great. The thing is that the heater needs a 3/4 line and the installer tells me I need to run one new line from the propane tank and have a "t" to feed the stove and another "t" for the new dryer and then go to the heater.

I have the feeling that he is just making more work so to get more labor. Why no simply run a straight new line from the tank to the heater and leave the 3/8 alone and simply feed the dryer from the stove connection.

Do that make more sense? The plumber store told me the takagi heaters requires a good flow of propane to work properly, and that splitting the line to feed the stove and the dryer might "starve" the heater....

I am sure you already figure out I am from a small town :)

Any suggestions or ideas

Many thanks

What he is informing you is correct. what he is doing is ensuring you have enough delivery for the total BTU drawn from the tank to each appliance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks