How to seal a closet flange in concrete...

Users who are viewing this thread

scrkw2000

Reaction score
Wow - Great forum. I'm glad to know there a more that just me monkeying with their plumbing. Anyway, I've learned a bunch, but not what I need.

I was hoping some one could tell me if there is a way to seal off a closet flange where a toilet used to be. I've extensively remodeled a basement moving the bathroom to the other side of the house. That leaves a closet flange sticking out of the concrete where the old toilet used to be. Rather than excavate through the concrete, I'd rather just seal it off where it is- if possible. Once finished, the new floor height will give about 1.25' of vertical clearance above the old flange. There'll also be cabinets over the flange, so I guess if necessary, I could cut into the bottom to provide extra clearance.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are expandable rubber plugs that would work for this. The ones I'm thinking of have a bolt through them. You tighten it up and it squeezes tight to the sides. See if the pros have any better thoughts...

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
First off what kind of pipe is the flange attached to.I would remove the flange
and cap it with a proper cap.It may require some chipping of the concrete.

scrkw2000

Reaction score
I assume the flange is attached to a closet elbow. Its hard to tell for sure because everything is burried in concrete, except the top of the flange itself. I was thinking that since the subfloor height will be 1.5" around the flange and over that will be a toe kick space under a cabinet, I could use the 4 or so inches to do something else. Hopefully something that doesn't require chiseling more concrete.

I like the expansion plug idea but I'm not sure if something like that will work?? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Scott

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
Ideally, the best thing to do would be chip up the concrete a little and glue on a hard cap. The expanding plugs use a tapered rubber plug which will degrade over time, eventually crack/crumble and will not seal.
I've seen guys do the quick and dirty method, shove a piece of wire mess down the pipe a little and fill it with quick-setting concrete but still not the best idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks