Bradford White...cold leak...

Users who are viewing this thread

muddymules

Reaction score
I installed a Bradford White hot water heater six years ago. All has been fine until the past week. I have a "two second" drip coming from the bottom. The biggest concern that I have is that it is not HOT water, it is COLD. I turned off the valve to the cold water supply line and the drip was pretty much gone. It went to "eight seconds" instead of "two seconds", in about five minutes. So I am believing that it is not the tank, but maybe the dip tube.

I did remove the inspection plate and the insulation has some water between it and the inner tank. No lines are leaking at the top either. It seems to be internal, between the housing for the insulation and the tank itself. Any thoughts would be great. Please help and thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It was hot, it has just cooled off before you can feel the temperature.

It is probably time for a brand new water heater...
Check the install date to find if your warrantee is still valid or, if it has expired.

muddymules

Reaction score
It was hot, it has just cooled off before you can feel the temperature..

Thank you for your prompt reply. I see that you have answered many questions and I hate to question your intelligence, and I apologize, but the water that is dripping is very cold, like I turned on the cold water faucet, cold. I would expect it to be a luke warm to hot if it is leaking from the tank. I may be completely incorrect and if you would explain how it would go from very hot to very cold that quick, would be great. Also, it appears that the leak is coming from somewhere above the inspection plate. Maybe it's just hope that I am after....

It is probably time for a brand new water heater...
Check the install date to find if your warrantee is still valid or, if it has expired.

I checked on that already. The warranty expired last November. Go figure...

EDIT: When I turn off the shut off valve, the drip goes away. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was the supply line leaking, it would be from the top of the WH, and you'd see it. Shutting the supply off reduces the pressure which stops the leaking. There is probably a short stub between the top of the WH and the actual internal tank, but that's still part of the tank...trying to tear off the top cover isn't really an option, so regardless of where it is leaking, it's essentially an internal leak.

muddymules

Reaction score
If it was the supply line leaking, it would be from the top of the WH, and you'd see it. Shutting the supply off reduces the pressure which stops the leaking. There is probably a short stub between the top of the WH and the actual internal tank, but that's still part of the tank...trying to tear off the top cover isn't really an option, so regardless of where it is leaking, it's essentially an internal leak.

Thanks for the info. How about a recommendation for a new water heater, what type and size for a family of four? It is in my basement and has to have the power vent. I am capable of installing the water heater myself and please don't suggest anything from "Home De-dumpster-pot". Way too much bad luck from that store.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Truthfully I'd suggest another Bradford White.

Has the supply of water been adequate?

muddymules

Reaction score
Truthfully I'd suggest another Bradford White.

Has the supply of water been adequate?

I will end up sticking with the Bradford White PowerVent and installing a new one this weekend.

Yes, everything has been great with the WH until I completely refinished my basement and seen this new leak. There are four us taking showers every morning and we never run out of hot water. Everything still works fine on the WH, just has a slow drip. I guess when I replace it, I will part it out and see if anyone needs the parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks