New Sprinklers small problem

Users who are viewing this thread

jerseyFF

Reaction score
I piped 4 zones. Three of which extend to the rear of my property. On 2 of three zones, the last sprinkler heads spray, but water shoots from the seal between the pop up part of the sprinkler head, and its casing. I replaced each head with a new one, and I am still having the same problem. Raindbird 42sa heads, rainbird valves, 1 inch poly pipe, 45 psi @ 13 gpm. I would say that I am loosing pressure but I have 1 zone with the same amount of pipe, the same length and even more heads than the ones I am having issues with. Any assistance would be greatly appreciative.

Chris8796

Reaction score
Is the 13 gpm per zone? What is the gpm at the source and the zones? Did you determine the pressure loss for each zone when designing the system?

jerseyFF

Reaction score
Is the 13 gpm per zone? What is the gpm at the source and the zones? Did you determine the pressure loss for each zone when designing the system?

13gpm is the gallonage from the water source (well water to the structure) 1 zone with the problem has 9 gpm for the zone, and the 2nd zone has 11 gpm. Pressure at the hose bib of my house is 45 psi. Pressure loss was not a factor I currently had a 4 zone system in the front pushing 12 gpm per zone. I only run one zone at a time. The original 4 zones in my front yard are piped around 400 ft of 1" pipe. The two zones in my backyard im having problems with are piped around 250 ft each. I would assume i'm losing pressure after the 2nd to last head of each zone. I was just looking to see if I were missing anything before I go dig up a the last 30 feet of two zones =)

lougil

Reaction score
cheap heads

If you buy heads from Hdepot or luwes they only have one thread and only last one maybe two seasons.You must buy commercial style heads

PSLawnService

Reaction score
The Rainbird 42SA comes pre-nozzeled with 3 GPM. You did not say how many heads you have on each zone. With 12 GPM at the source (where the water exits the structure), you should have no more than 4 heads on a zone if the pressure is adaquate. What is happening possibly is that the last head is not coming all the way up because of low pressure. When the head is only partially up, they gush water from the seal. You lose approx 3# per 100 feet of 1" Poly pipe.
When checking your GPM, you need a guage with 2 dials, 1. GPM, 2. PSI
As you reduce the GPM the pressure will increase and as you increase the GPM the pressure will drop.
Try re-nozzeling all the heads on the zones that are not working properly to 2.5 GPM or 2.0 GPM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks