Gas and water in a kitched remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
I'm doing a kitchen remodel and need to add a new gas line and water line for the stove and pot filler. So far, I have 1 estimate. After recovering from the shock, I have decided to get some more estimates. Before anyone starts to worry, I AM NOT going to play with the gas or water lines myself. I would like to get more information and I'm turning to the experts for help.

The gas and water are both accessible in the attic above the kitchen. The plumber I got the estimate from was talking about having to drill holes for the copper and using flex for the gas line. My questions are:
For water in the attic, does the copper run through the joists or can it go on them?
For gas in the attic, are there any issues with using a flexible line?

I live in California - home of the earthquake building code. I realize the scope of this job but just want to have the knowledge base to help make good choices with the professional that will do the work for me.

Thanks for your help.

Ron6519

Reaction score
In NY you can't run flex pipe down through walls. It needs to be steel pipe until you exit the wall. Then you can use flex pipe to hook up to the appliance.
Your local codes dictate a course of action.
Ron

Jeff1

Reaction score
Thanks Ron. I've got another estimate coming today. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Flex

The flex pipe used in the walls is completely different from that used to connect from the valve outside the wall to the appliance. The installer knows the answer to your questions and should do it the proper way.

Jeff1

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. Does the flex line hold up as well? This is a crawl space and occationally (hopefully never) is needed for access. I guess I'm concerned with someone crushing the line if they are working up there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

IT could be crushed if the worker were heavy enough and stepped on it, but most would be smarter than that, unless they were into sabotage. IF the connections are made so they do not leak immediately, there is no reason for it to fail naturally. Staples, nails, screws, etc., can damage it, but then I also had a carpenter drive a self drilling screw through a steel pipe.

Jeff1

Reaction score
Just an update. I got a second estimate and it is much lower (about 1/2). Both are from licensed plumbers - 1 is a big company, the other is owner/operator. I'm going to go with the owner/operator. Who knows, I may be his gopher. Thanks for the info

Jeff1

Reaction score
Got the work done. It looks clean and seems to work. Hopefully the gas is in the correct place for the range (that's being delivered today). The only glitch was the plumber sat on the ceiling dry wall and made a butt shaped hole in it. That was good for a laugh and since there is so much drywall work being done anyhow, its no big deal.

They used copper for the pot filler and flex (3/4" yellow) for the gas. The copper is attached to the joists in the attic and looks pretty good for the rest.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I would have run hard pipe .... I just don't like the idear of that flex in the walls.

Personally, if I was uncomfortable doing the work myself I would have done it anyways and THEN had a licensed plumber/pipe-fitter inspect and test it.

Jason

Jeff1

Reaction score
I'm just glad he didn't charge extra for the drywall damage. As for doing it myself, I'm very comfortable with electrical, but don't want to touch anything that can leak in the walls or cause my house to explode. I'm kind of funny that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks