Unsure of the exact problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vicky71

Reaction score
I have an older home built on cinder blocks with a well and water softener. No big deal! Water does trickle down one wall whenever it rains or when the snow thaws, but it goes into a drain and then dries up. About three years ago, I had the well pump replaced. About a month ago, I noticed water on the floor along the opposite wall (from where the water normally trickles). I did not see any noticeable pipes leaking or water heater leakage, but it dried up and I ignored it. I did not see any water until two days ago. Now there is a lot more water on the floor right at the bottom of the steps in my basement along that same wall. The water is clear (not soapy) and again I cannot locate any noticeable pipe leaks. I am stumped! I have however noticed the well pump has recently been running approximately every 10 minutes. The pump has not usually run that often. Could these two things be connected? Could it be a pressure tank issue (it is an older tank)? I thought about calling someone in, but I am not sure what I would tell them? Any ideas...

Last edited:

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I sounds like there may be a leak in the plumbing. If the pump is coming on without someone using water it is going somewhere.

It could be outside in a buried pipe. Do you know where the pipes from the well are located. Are they in the general area of where the water is coming from.

I assume you have looked at all the interior piping for leaks. If you have a turn-off valve AFTER the pressure switch, you can shut it off and see if the pipe still runs. Never shut off the pipe between the pressure switch and the pump when the pump is capable of running. That will tell you if there is a leak between the well and the shutoff valve. Water coming in through the wall implies a leak in the outside piping. If yo have an irrigation system or piping water to some other place on the property it could be there. If the first test does not find it, tell us about other pipes.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
No pump should run unless someone or something is using water. If it does that means there is a leak somewhere.

Run water until the pump starts and shut off the water at that faucet then....

Shut off the water at the pressure tank on the (house side) past the pressure tank. Watch the gauge for 10-15 minutes to see if the pressure falls, if it does you have a leak from the pressure tank back to the foot or check valve on the bottom of the drop pipe going to the foot valve or the submersible pump's check valve. If the pressure doesn't fall, you have a leak on the house side of the pressure tank.

Vicky71

Reaction score
Would a leak in the pressure tank cause water on the basement floor from an undetermined location?

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Where is the pressure tank. Can you not see it? A leak is a leak, could be the tank as well as anything else.

Test the system as described above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks