5/8 in Soft Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Livi

Reaction score
I had copper pipe split in an attic and at first glance it looked like a 1/2 pipe that I was going to repair with a couple of shark bit couplings. When I tried to put on the 1/2in couplings, I discovered that the copper was slightly larger than the 1/2 in coupling.

In researching this, I believe it is 5/8M soft copper. I couldn't find any 5/8 in quick connect fittings and where this repair is in my attic, I would prefer not to sweat a connection. Any ideas on the best fix for this?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I had copper pipe split in an attic and at first glance it looked like a 1/2 pipe that I was going to repair with a couple of shark bit couplings. When I tried to put on the 1/2in couplings, I discovered that the copper was slightly larger than the 1/2 in coupling.

In researching this, I believe it is 5/8M soft copper. I couldn't find any 5/8 in quick connect fittings and where this repair is in my attic, I would prefer not to sweat a connection. Any ideas on the best fix for this?

More than likely it is ½" copper that had gotten stretched when it froze. Also if it is soft copper it can be slightly out of round which will make it hard to install a fitting on to it. You just have to find where the copper is nice and round and not deformed.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Type M copper is hard copper,Type L can be hard or soft, never seen M that is
soft unless I tempered it myself.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

If it split, then it was frozen, which would have expanded it. There are ways to reduce its size, back to normal, but the tubing might still not be perfect enough for a Sharkbite, since it uses a passive seal. Other methods will use some sort of active force which can make the copper conform to their requirements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks