Noise from Pressure Reducing Valve????

Users who are viewing this thread

chuck0542

Reaction score
I had a pressure reducing value replaced because I had water discharging from my hot water heater. Now I have an extremely loud whistling noise (train horn) coming through the entire house and vibration. The noise and vibration appears to be coming from the new pressure reducing valve. Do I need to buy another pressure reducing valve? Or should I check the pressure first and record my readings then proceed from there. The noise has gotten progressively worse. I have a Watts N55B M1 ¾” installed with a union fitting then threaded onto cooper pipe. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a thermal expansion tank? If not, that would be the cause of your T/P on the water heater leaking. A thermal expansion tank and PRV go together because the PRV creates a closed system.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Did you check to make sure the inlet and outlet are in right direction?
A backward install will cause the noise.

chuck0542

Reaction score
yes there is a thermal expansion tank installed and the pressure valveis correctly installed in theright direction.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check to make sure that there are no leaking toilets.
They can often make up a vibration almost like a water hammer.
Korky fill valves with just the right amount of leakage putting them right at where the valve turns on and off can make a huge amount of noise... :eek:
Probably a defective PRV...

Last edited:

cSquall

Reaction score
Got me to thinking...

Did you check to make sure the inlet and outlet are in right direction?
A backward install will cause the noise.

I unfortunately had to install my pressure reducing valve in such a way that I couldn't see the arrow marking flow direction, and somehow it must have gotten turned around in my hand. Used my phone to take a picture of the side I couldn't get to/see by putting my arm behind it, and sure enough, I had somehow turned the valve upside down. I'll flip it over and hope that the rushing water / clicking noise disappears and that the valve has not been damaged!

Feel stupid, but very glad I found this forum!

Update: Worked like a charm, and I even got the PRV facing the correct way this time around. No more whooshing noise. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: