Your vote is needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
After the sawzall and the replacement window arrives, one of the first things I will need to do is "remove the glass". I assume I should just smash it.

IMGP1479.jpg

Which tool shall I use?

1) IMGP1488.jpg

2) IMGP1489.jpg

3) IMGP1490.jpg

or 4) IMGP1492.jpg

?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It probably isn't worth trying to save the glass, but smashing it will create some safety and cleanup issues.

If you scrape the putty away, you may just get them out fairly quickly and easily. A torch to soften it first might help.

If you decide to smash it, the first hammer with the fairly small pointed side will do it easier.

Wear good gloves and eye protection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
glass

The glass in in the movable panel. Remove it first, without breaking the glass, because you have to do it anyway to cut the frame out. Are you sure you have the abilities to do this?

3m

Reaction score
The first thing to do is make sure that the window will fit, There is nothing like taking something apart only to find out the parts wont fit

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am just trying to get all the tips I can before I try this.

Of course I will wait for the window to arrive too and check it fits as best I can before removing the old one.

These windows are rusted shut though so everything will need to be cut out. I'll try to chip away at the putty to remove the glass.

If all else fails, I will board up the window and call a pro. I have five of these windows to do and will take them on one at a time. If it gets too much, I'll quit.

Last edited:

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Don't try to remove it without smashing it. That's no fun.

I got a better idea. Think back to when you were a kid. Stand outside, grab the biggest rock you can find, and throw it right through.

If not, then go with tool number four because it will give you the longest distance between you and the window. Wear good gloves and goggles.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am still thinking about this. The replacement window(s) have not arrived yet. Tried the Milwaukee out on a bush that's been bothering me though.

The Milwaukee won.

My father-in-law suggested a glass cutter and then duct tape for the glass.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it. Put down a sheet of plastic outside to catch the pieces and hammer away. I'd go with #1, 2, and 3, slowly and deliberately. Gloves and safety glasses are a must.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks