(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "In Between" Option(s)?

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mark_g View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion--we, too, came to the same conclusion.

As an alternate, what do you think about the Bradford White EF-60T or American Water Heaters Polaris (either PGC3-34 or PGC3-50) or Ruud Advantage Plus HE45-100 or State Ultra Force SUF60.

Since it's new construction, installation should be routine. These high efficiency tanks cost more than conventional units but a little less than tankless -- plus, only one is needed to meet the flow rate.

I don't need a power vent unit--we can direct vent/sealed combustion -- so only one fan?

Thanks for feedback on this idea. --Mark
    I have installed the EF heaters in restaurants and bars. They work great, but are expensive. Also the warranty is only 3 years on the tank and 1 year on parts. Here is the spec sheet which shows the warranty. http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...heets/800b.pdf

The house will be used year-round, but mostly only 2-3 nights per week.

We are trying to tie in with geo desuperheater, which shd provide at least warmed water ahead of it (depending on the season) -- otherwise, incoming temp in the middle of January measured 54.

With 3+ bathrooms and hi flow (unrestricted) showerheads, first hour use can be high, esp with guests -- but mostly, it will be two or three of us.

So I am trying to find a happy medium between periods of no use, periods of very high use, and periods of moderate use. Thus, a small-tank HE.

I know they're pricey, but it seems this is the best time to take the plunge, while we're building.

I appreciate feedback--thank you all! Mark

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Ratz.. why the commercial unit???

Ratz...Why would you want to install a commercial unit with only a 3 year warranty??? With the fan and power vent service issues that could be possible ? Add the fact I think this fellow wants a propane water heater???

If it is propane,
    anything in propane and power vent and commercial spells big, big trouble to me.

their could be some serious service issues some day with something like that.

If you are still in the construction phase could you not just install a normal double wall 5 -6 inch metal chimmney out the roof ??
    Then all you would have to do is put in one or two normal 50 gallon heaters in series, or you could even buy a couple of higher btu 50 units if you so chose to....

you could stagger the thermostats one on low and one on high??

and you can set them both on vacation when you are not there.

I feel that the more simple you keep this,
    the better off you will be 5-10 years from now

you dont know how many poeple I talk to that cuss the builder who installed a 75 gallon power vent in their home
    when they could have put in a chimmney during construction.

good luck either way..

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    Ratz...Why would you want to install a commercial unit with only a 3 year warranty??? With the fan and power vent service issues that could be possible ? Add the fact I think this fellow wants a propane water heater???

If it is propane,
    anything in propane and power vent and commercial spells big, big trouble to me.

their could be some serious service issues some day with something like that.

If you are still in the construction phase could you not just install a normal double wall 5 -6 inch metal chimmney out the roof ??
    Then all you would have to do is put in one or two normal 50 gallon heaters in series, or you could even buy a couple of higher btu 50 units if you so chose to....

you could stagger the thermostats one on low and one on high??

and you can set them both on vacation when you are not there.

I feel that the more simple you keep this,
    the better off you will be 5-10 years from now

you dont know how many poeple I talk to that cuss the builder who installed a 75 gallon power vent in their home
    when they could have put in a chimmney during construction.

good luck either way..
    I didn't tell him to install a commercial unit. He asked what we think about itin this post http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...5&postcount=14. So I pointed out it only has a 3 year warranty.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Sewer Ratz ....... I stand corrected.......

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    I didn't tell him to install a commercial unit. He asked what we think about itin this post http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...5&postcount=14. So I pointed out it only has a 3 year warranty.

sorry, I had not had my 2nd cup of coffe this morning before I read your post......

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    sorry, I had not had my 2nd cup of coffe this morning before I read your post......

Its ok.. I been groggy today too. Had to be on my first job at 6 am. It is a dispatch point for a bread company and all their garage drains where clogged. They wanted to ensure I was out of there before 11 am when the trucks started to roll in. Job took all of 3 hours to rod 400 feet of 4" cast iron to the triple basins. On top of that I came down with a head cold... fun fun