(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "In Between" Option(s)?

Default "In Between" Option(s)?

We're building a new house -- 3 bathrooms w/showers, (master also has 80 gal tub), large kitchen, dw, etc.

Use pattern will be uneven--many days unoccupied, zero demand, then we could have a houseful of up to 6-7 adults on weekends.

Originally, we were thinking that the boiler wd make hot water and have a small 40 gal storage tank that could be fast recovered in periods of high demand. But we are rethinking hvac and the boiler is likely out. We are trying to get the geothermal numbers to work, but I've been forewarned that the desuperheater will not provide enough HW for our needs.

We are well aware of tankless (we've had one for the past 11 years) and realize that periods of intense usage won't make it unless we start ganging units together.

So is there a hybrid, with small high efficiency storage and a variable-rate burner-boiler we should be considering? The small storage tank will allow installation of a gravity-fed hw circulation system, and the small tank would take care of high initial demands.

We have propane, or cd go electric.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mark

Have a look see at this link...

http://www.eternalwaterheater.com/

Redwood--appreciate the link. If it does what it claims, that's exactly what I am looking for.

Do you have any experience with them? Reliable? Are they readily available? Expensive?

How does it compare to the AO Smith Vertex or Ruud AdvantagePlus?

Thanks for the feedback, too!
    --Mark

From what I understand they are pricy. I haven't done one yet but I am looking forward to the first. I have heard good things about them from some people who have installed them...

I'm not a big fan of A.O.Smith....

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking they are ok

they are supposed to be pretty nice...

I odnt know about the propane

available in my aread for about 2200.... about
    the same as a tankless, only needs pvc pipe like the power vent.

I too would stay away from the a.o. Smith Vertex

anything made by them is bound to give you troubles
    and that one looks bad...

go ahead and be a a test case for one.

Reviewing the specs again, it doesn't appear the Eternal will give us enough flow (the GU32 is rated 5.2gpm at 80 rise/7.0gpm at 70). That would be enough to run one bathroom at a time, and not what we're seeking.

I have also read about tank-type "high efficiency" water heaters with 34-80 gals storage capacity and supposedly very fast recovery. Specs boast 95-96% thermal efficiency, and I don't understand how this correlates to the Eternal 86% efficiency rating. These are made by lots of mfrs: American "Polaris"; Rheem/Ruud "Advantage Plus"; Natco "Voyager"; and the often not recommended AO Smith "Vertex".

Then within these there are various options--stainless, metal or glass-lined tanks, stainless or cuprinickel heat exchangers, power or direct/sealed combustion.

Would this type of heater work?

Thanks again for helping me understand the differences so we can chase down the correct type of unit.
    --Mark

How many btu/hr can your propane tank provide? What are your peak non-water heating propane needs?

What is the flow rate needed at 70 F temp rise?

How much of a pressure loss can you tolerate?

Chris, good questions.

I don't have all the technical details, but hopefully this will help answer your questions:

1000gal propane tank plumbed @high pressure to the house--forget if it is
    3/4" or 1" line. We originally sized the propane system to handle house heating also, but are now moving away from that.

Peak non-water heating propane needs will be for restaurant range and ovens. We're trying to go geo for heating.

So most of our propane demand will be for domestic HW. Imagine a weekend houseful of 6 or 7 adults. The 3 bathrooms all have hi flow showerheads (5gpm unless we choke them down), plus kitchen. A 5 gpm shower head at less than 4gpm would not be very decent. Does that mean our peak HW use could fall in the 12-15gpm range with two showers plus kitchen going simultaneously?

Then again, there will be many extended days of complete inactivity.

I was hoping for a single unit that could handle the hi flow requirements of all the bathrooms. Perhaps an alternate is to put the two little-used baths on their own HW system? That sounds like a lot more expense, though.

The orig system designed was a Peerless 80,000 BTU Munchkin that would also make the domestic HW, and a 40gal, high efficiency storage tank. That would give us a head-start during peak water needs, but not lose efficiency.

Thanks again for feedback.
    --Mark

Blog Entries

Talking Beating a dead horse..... Again

I GOT YOUR ANSWER!!!!!! I DID THE MATH!!!!

If it is propane,
    Would it not be easier , more simple , less headaches,
    less calculations, less breakdowns....less math ...just to install
    a 75 gallon propane water heater... or two 50 gallons in series????

then throw a couple of water heater blankets on it and
    live happily ever after...??

now, if you really want to squeeze that
    extra extra therm out of the equation, get one in a power vent
    and you will save a few cents a month for the little piolit light........

noooooooooooooo, that is just way too simple and cost effictive

we cant do that >>> we must somehow go green, green, green <<<<<

we got to somehow make "space shuttle technology" out of this....

we must squeeze that last hair of energy out of this no matter
    what the overall long run cost and functionality will be..

hint, hint, I am being rather sarcastic..............

MP Mark,

My issue is why keep 75 gals of water heated all the time, esp when there will be many days, consistently, of complete inactivity?

I don't fully understand the premise of the high efficiency tank heaters.

I do understand the flow restrictions of the tankless units--and know that they won't work in this setting.

In a sense, yes, the simpler may be the better solution. But if a small tank and very quick recovery exist and are energy efficient, then that seems the best solution.

Or go electric and turn it off when the house is unoccupied?

Or?

--Mark

At 15 gal/min and 70F rise is (15 x 8.8 x 60 x 70) is 554400 btu/hr assuming 100% efficiency. That is alot of hot water and energy. I think I would probably be looking at a big tank 120 gallon (main bath + kitchen), plus a tankless unit dedicated to the guest showers. I wouldn't worry about the stand-by losses, they are small potatoes in the scheme of things. You can have it set up to easily turn off the circulating system when your away. You could also add a second tank and use the desuperheater to preheat water feeding the other heaters.

Blog Entries

Talking

[quote=mark_g;195493]MP Mark,

My issue is why keep 75 gals of water heated all the time, esp when there will be many days, consistently, of complete inactivity?

Or go electric and turn it off when the house is unoccupied?

If you are willing to do this simple task, then why not just
    turn down the 75 gallon propane hot water heater
    manually to vacation setting every time the party is over ...

then when you return for the next event...,
    simply go and turn it back up again for the weekend again???

all you need to do is remember to do it before you do anything else

how much more simple do you need it to be???

as long as you remember to turn the heater back up,
    it does not get much easier for you...

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Gas water heaters do have a vacation setting.

A tankless sytsem can work for you but you would need to install 2 units.

I have looked into the Hybrd tankless units, they are not much better than a tankless unit when it gomes to the GPM ath the needed ΔT rise.

So in reality your only choice is a tank unit that can really peform for your need that you need to set on vacation if you are not going to be home for long periods. Or mutiple tankless units. May I recomend Bradford White GX-1-55S6SX model. It has a first hour delivery of 200 gallons and recovers 84 gallons per hour. It also draws less BTU's than a Tankless system.

Default What do you think abt Hi Eff Gas--American "Polaris" BW "Ultra Hi Efficiency" others?

Thanks for that suggestion--we, too, came to the same conclusion.

As an alternate, what do you think about the Bradford White EF-60T or American Water Heaters Polaris (either PGC3-34 or PGC3-50) or Ruud Advantage Plus HE45-100 or State Ultra Force SUF60.

Since it's new construction, installation should be routine. These high efficiency tanks cost more than conventional units but a little less than tankless -- plus, only one is needed to meet the flow rate.

I don't need a power vent unit--we can direct vent/sealed combustion -- so only one fan?

Thanks for feedback on this idea. --Mark

Mark, is this place going to be seasonal?
    If so what kind of supplied water temp (cold) are you looking at...