It's like tinker toys, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

mptrauber

Reaction score
Okay. Just kidding. I'm sure this is much more difficult than it appears. :D

My wife and I want to semi vault a couple of rooms in the house which will require re-routing attic plumbing (3/4" pipes-I think) to the periphery in some places.

As as reasonably handy guy, is this something I could tackle on my own maybe? There's gotta be a logic trick to this.

Here's hoping it involves a bayonet saw and standard lengths of pre-threaded pipe!

Thanks much for any help.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the longer water run, it will take longer for hot to get where you want, but the water will probably run fine. Keep in mind that the longer the run and the more corners will reduce the maximum flow a little.

Also, your roof may fall in if you remove ceiling joists. They hold the walls from spreading out when a load is applied to the roof. You need a structural engineer to look at this before you start cutting things out.

mptrauber

Reaction score
So what you want to do is relocate is the venting for the DWV system?

I don't think that's it. This is just hot and cold pipes that I want to move to the edges of the attic space.

So, what do you think? Cut in 1/2, wrench out and replace segments or remove and replace everything downstream from a common juncture?

mptrauber

Reaction score
Thanks

With the longer water run, it will take longer for hot to get where you want, but the water will probably run fine. Keep in mind that the longer the run and the more corners will reduce the maximum flow a little.

Also, your roof may fall in if you remove ceiling joists. They hold the walls from spreading out when a load is applied to the roof. You need a structural engineer to look at this before you start cutting things out.

Right. Good point about the longer water runs and extra corners as well as the joists.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I don't think that's it. This is just hot and cold pipes that I want to move to the edges of the attic space.

So, what do you think? Cut in 1/2, wrench out and replace segments or remove and replace everything downstream from a common juncture?

What type of pipe is it?galvinized ,copper ?You are saying threaded pipe.
Can you clearify or upload a picture of the pipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here's hoping it involves a bayonet saw and standard lengths of pre-threaded pipe!

Thanks much for any help.

If it is threaded pipe, galvanized, then once you cut into it in the middle of the run, now the threads on each end of a replacement pipe prevent hooking up just standard lengths. One end gets loose as the other end gets tight. "standard lengths"???...... SInce today is Easter, it might work.....there would be a miracle required!!. You will need custom threaded lengths, and you would have to use either left/right couplings, or ground unions, to work the new run in.

It would be much easier to transition to PEX for the work-around sections. Step the size up. 3/4 galv. to 1" PEX.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a feeling this will be the result.

Attachments

• can of worms.jpg
    can of worms.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 218

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I still think the photo would be nice.

Is this located in the cold North, or the warm South?
In cold climates, moving pipes closer to the roof can be subjecting them to freezing.

Your best bet is going away from galvanized pipe.
PEX would be a better way to go here.

In fact, you replace as much of the galvanized as you can at this point.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your apparent lack of experience with plumbing tells me you are indeed opening a can of worms if you attempt this yourself. You haven't provided much useful information about what you have, so it is difficult to advise you on what has to be done. If you do have galvanized pipes, the entire system should be replaced professionally since galvanized pipes are no longer acceptable for home plumbing. If these are gas lines, you shouldn't even consider touching them yourself. While I appreciate the "It's like Tinker Toys" quip, you go on to assume that it is that simple. In addition to the sound advise about structural engineering, you need a professional plumber to evaluate the relocation of these pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
task

In its simplest terms that is WHAT you do, but actually doing it can be MUCH more complicated than just saying it. What do you mean "semi vault" the ceilings? Depending on how the roof is framed that could involve REMOVING the roof and changing trusses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks