Laundry room sink

Users who are viewing this thread

sfojpl

Reaction score
I would like to install a laundry room sink using the current washing machine drain. The drain is 2" steel pipe and I'm wondering if I can connect into it using PVC pipe, essentially connecting a piece of PVC to steel. Please advise.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

The first question would be whether you are trying to add it to the washing machine drain or replace the washer with the sink. Either ways is okay as long as you do it properly. We cannot tell you how to do it properly since it depends on how your washer's drain is piped now.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are adapater tees that will do this. Basically you will cut a section of the steel pipe out and install the adapter top and bottom. The PVC pipe will connect to the adapter's side. You must know for sure whether the pipe is cast iron or galvanized as there are different adapters of every size and type of pipe.

sfojpl

Reaction score
I would definitely be adding the sink, not replacing the washing machine. So Gary's response of the adapter tee makes sense, I just wasn't sure if the new plumbing from sink could be PVC if the adapter is steel. Thanks for the assistance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

That is why I asked and specified that the current setup will affect the answer. The sink cannot be connected below the washing machine trap's connection, nor can it be connected to the riser pipe that the washer hose drains into.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks