Can you tell what I have going on here

Users who are viewing this thread

jsheyn

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this home. This home is rural and has septic and well water.

Can anyone tell from the pictures what's going on here. I know very little about well systems, but this just doesnt look right to me. I asked the sellers agent if she knows whats going on, and she said the home owner has had a plumber out there 3 times now, and he says the well is to full, and no action is needed.

Sorry about the picture quality..they were taken with my cell phone

IMG00050.jpg

IMG00051.jpg

IMG00052.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jeff S.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like a standard pressure switch and pressure tank system to me. I can see the gauge is at about 50 so it must be a 40/60 pressure switch. Pump comes on at 40 and off at 60. It should be doing this in minutes not seconds. Are there any problems? Do you have water? Is the pump cycling on and off too rapidly? Tank looks old, might need to check the air charge. See the sticky at top about pressure tank maintenance.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looks to me like the water is flowing out the top of the casing and running down the floor drain. Looks like a lot of rust, which would be likely caused by high iron content in the water.

If this is in a basement or is an artesian well, it could be a "normal" condition that I would not really want inside my home. I would make the owner get the water tested by a certified lab to be ensured it is safe to drink as a precursor to the sale.

I am also concerned that the floor drain probably goes to the septic field. I'm no expert on septic systems but having all that water going through the septic field cannot be good.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Since I've owned a house with a "flowing" well (it can be a real hassle), and if there is no way above the well to get the pump out of the well easily, and because of the high iron content of the water, if not the probable IRB (iron reducing bacteria) in the water too, and nowhere convenient to install water treatment equipment, not to mention any rotting wood from this water all over the floor for probably years, I would pass on this house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks