Sulfur in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
Last year I had to replace my aiconditioning unit after only 7 years.
The guy that replaced my unit has been in the business for very long and he told me that the sulfur in my wellwater ruined(or as he stateded "ate up" :))the brass parts in the ac unit.

Now I always thought that whenever you have sulfur in your wellwater you can smell the odor, as many people say it smells like rotten eggs.
I don't smell anything, is there anyway to test the wellwater for sulfur?

I know there is a way to reduce or remove the sulfur with an aeration system.
Are there other ways to remove sulfur from the water?
Some people say an iron/manganese filter will also reduce the sulfur.

Any light on this subject will be greatly appreciated

Speedbump

Reaction score
An iron filter using Potassium Permangenate will reduce the sulphur by about .5 ppm. That's about all it can do. Chlorine will remove the odor and carbon will do about the same as the Pot Per. Aeration works well, but I prefer to do it under pressure, unlike open aerators.

I think your AC guy has it wrong though. The sulphur gas will destroy aluminum coils not brass. If sulphur attacked brass, we would have things falling into wells like crazy.

The fact that you don't smell any sulphur gas is a mystery to me.

bob...

Woodenshoe

Reaction score

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The best test for H2S is your nose while you run water into a bucket quite fast to splash it around good as you hang your nose on the rim and smell deeply for odor. the second best is a test done on site because as soon as you draw the sample, the gas comes out of the water and can't be tested.

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
kit

Thanks Gary, I will purchase a test kit and see what it says
I found a kit like this:
http://www.h2okits.com/site/1286521/product/Complete Water Test Kit
Is the sensitivity on these kits ok?

Test Sensitivity Test Range Result Time
Iron 0.1 ppm 0 to 5 ppm 2 minutes
Copper 0.5 ppm 0 to 5 ppm 30 seconds
Chloride 50 ppm 0 to 500 ppm 40 seconds
Nitrate 0.5 ppm 0 to 50 ppm 1 minute
Nitrite 0.15 ppm 0 to 10 ppm 1 minute
pH 1.0 2 to 12 20 seconds
Total Alkalinity 40 ppm 0 to 500 ppm 20 seconds
Total Chlorine 0.2 ppm 0 to 10 ppm 20 seconds
Total Hardness 50 ppm 0 to 1000 ppm 20 seconds
Free Chlorine 0.1 ppm 0 to 5 ppm 10 seconds
Sulfate 250 ppm 0 to >500 ppm 40 seconds
Hydrogen Sulfide 0.3 ppm 0 ppm to 2.0 ppm 30 seconds

Bacteria 1 colony per 100 ml present / absent 48 hours

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't prefer a potassium per. system because of the process and maintenance involved but it can take out more th 0.5ppm hydrogen sulfur!
Maybe in your city, but not in mine. And most of us call it Hydrogen Sulphide, not Hydrogen sulfur.

Woodenshoe, this is the best place to buy a test kit. A bit pricey maybe, but dependable: http://www.hach.com/catreq

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Woodenshoe, it looks good to me, but smell the water for H2S too. The price is right too.

You should do all tests at the boiler drain valve on the pressure tank.

If you don't find any ordor, and you have an odor at a specific faucet, then the faucet is contaminated or the drain trap and sink overflow needs to be sanitized.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Woodenshoe, it looks good to me, but smell the water for H2S too. The price is right too.

You should do all tests at the boiler drain valve on the pressure tank.

If you don't find any ordor, and you have an odor at a specific faucet, then the faucet is contaminated or the drain trap and sink overflow needs to be sanitized.

Gary has a calibrated testing nose...LOL

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
test

I'm probably usedd to the smell of the water here in the house that it is hard for me to smell a difference:)
I have smelled the rotten egg odor from my grandmas house, there is no way around that:p.
By the way....If the sulphur does not smell like rotten egg...what am i smellin for?

I have a jetpump with right after that a bypass. I assume that is the best place to get the samples straight from the well?
There are only 2 strips for each test so I want to make sure that I get the samples from the right spot.

I have heared also that the heating element in the hot water heater has something to do with the sulphate process is that true?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Take the samples wherever you can and as close to the tank as possible.

If you have a hot water only odor, it is caused by bacteria, sulfate reducing bacteria specifically (SRB) and they are harmless. They use the anode rod to create H2S in the water heater. You can replace or remove the rod or turn the temp up on the heater to 140f to kill them. This won't cause the odor in your cold water.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If the smell is in fact only in your hot water, almost certainly you can fix it by replacing the original anode rod (usually magnesium) with one made from aluminum or special combinations to combat the smell problem. Google {"anode rod" smell} and you'll find sites where a straight aluminum rod can be had for $20 plus shipping.

Also check out:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The bacteria that cause the odor do not care if the material is on the rod or the bottom of tank after being scraped off the rod as it was being removed.

And I'd like to see the person that can remove a rod and not scrap it as they take it out of a water heater. And there is no guarantee that a different rod material will stop the odor. I can guarantee that adding a disinfectant to the water, like chlorine, or otherwise killing the bacteria, by raising the temp to 140f, gets rid of the odor every time.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There are few guarantees in life

... but I can say that I had "smelly hot water" problems in 2 water heaters in the past, and both were cured by replacing the stock anode rod with aluminum. Since installing a solar water heating system, the water temperature is now around 150 degrees plus, so all bacteria, including legionella, are being killed. In both cases, the rods that were removed were reusable, but I gave them to a plumber friend so I haven't bothered to see if the smell would stay away (because of the increased temperature) if I did put them back in. I check the anode rod annually when I flush the WH (aluminum rods are said to erode more rapidly than magnesium), and they come out and go back in relatively easily. One secret to removing the rod without damage is to have a hole in the ceiling (mine is plugged with a 1 1/2" PVC plug) above the water heater so you can lift the rod straight up.

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
water test kit

Well the test came in and tested the water.Somehow I have some problems with matching the colors:rolleyes:

Free Chlorine=0
PH=8.5
Total Alkalinity=500
Total Chlorine=0
Total Hardness=250-425,couldn't match the color really
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
Iron=0.1-0.3, also another hard one to compare colors
copper=0
sulfate= 0-250, another hard orange color to match, it was closer to the 0 color than to the 250.
Chloride=0
Hydrogen sulfide=0(I had to compare 2 vials on white paper,did not see any difference)

As you can see the ph, alkalinity and hardness are up there.
As far as the sulfur and hydrogen sulfide what I really wanted to know were low.

Any input on these readings?

Can I bump?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks