Drop in tub in alcove

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty53

Reaction score
First time post, long time lurker. I'm currently working on my second bath remodel and looking for some information on the possibility of using a drop in tub in an alcove. I've searched the forums and found only little scraps of info on this.

My main goal is to tile my own apron instead of settling for an ugly apron thats built into a tub. I don't know what it is I just don't like them.. seem very 1950's to me. And I just got done with a huge tile job in the other bathroom and now have some confidence.

I have about a $500 price cap for the tub, and I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill. I know Kohler makes a few tubs that are drop-ins with file flanges (Hourglass) is one, but it is really expensive ($700).

I really like the look of the Archer, there is a drop in at orange box for about $300, but it doesn't have the tiling flange. Kohler sells a universal flange but on their website they don't recommend using it with the Archer. I've looked at the schematics for the Archer tub and I can't see any indication of a negatively sloped deck on it (the reason why people don't recommend drop-in tubs in alcoves), so I'm wondering why they don't recommend the tile flange on this tub? Maybe just a money making thing?

Maybe I should just drop this idea but I was hoping someone here might have a miracle suggestion!

Thanks,

Here are some pics of my 1st floor bath:

Before 7.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks