OSB for Subfloor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
What problems (if any) can be caused by using OSB for subfloor.
I'm asking because I don't need structural support, just a smoother surface to lay the luan on. You see... It's an old house with 1" thick boards for a subfloor (varying widths and slight thickness differences). :)

Thanks for any replies

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a subfloor, I like Advantec, but for what you're looking for, ply is better, I think as well.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem with regular plywood is there may be voids here and below the top ply. A sharp weight such as an appliance or woman's high heel can break through. What you should use as an underlayment is called multiply. It comes in 1/4"x4'x4' sheets and may have different names. It's like plywood, but it has no voids. As I recall, it isn't much different in price from plywood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks