(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Wiring Tytewadd Power Filter into Panel

Default Wiring Tytewadd Power Filter into Panel

Hello all,

I have the Tytewadd Power Filter C-1 ready to wire into the panel before the lightning really starts up here in the hills this spring. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with installing these? The instructions say to wire the two red leads to a double pole breaker and the white to the neutral bar. We don't have a two pole breaker (all appliances are natural gas) and we have two neutral bars so... what can I wire this to so a lightning strike doesn't fry our wires.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

You need to add a new 2P breaker for the protector. In the main panel it does not matter which neutral bar. They are the same.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Thank you so much, that makes things easy!

It would be best to put the new breakers as close as possible to the point the wires from the utility connect to the panel buses. Keep wires as short as possible. Lightening is a very fast rise time pulse and the inductance (think resistance for AC voltage) will lower the effectiveness of the filter a bit