Well pumping sand

Users who are viewing this thread

mnjohnson

Reaction score
I live in MN with a well approx 90' deep and close to 20 yrs old. As soon as the ground begins to thaw the filters in my house begin to plug up with sand. I have a small sedement filter and then a carbon filter. The sand it too fine for the first filter w/100 mesh and totally clogs up the carbon filter. I contacted a local plumber and he suggested either having them check the well screen and lining (roughly $2000) or buying a much larger sand seperator to take out the fine sand ($700).

I have read that in some cases of large amounts of sand in the well can represent that the well walls are beginning to fail. Is that correct? Am I safe with purchasing the sand seperator? and is that the going price?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Does this sand problem happen only after the thaw, or does it get worse after a thaw? The thawing of the ground should not affect the well screen if the well was constructed correctly.

I have seen wells that make some small sand, and they put an old water heater in line as a sand trap. On a water heater, the water comes in the top and out the top, while the sand settles to the bottom. Where the drain is on the water heater, they put a gate or ball valve to clean the sand out every so often. They claim it works.

Travis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks