Calcium deposits

Users who are viewing this thread

estone

Reaction score
We use our well for outside use only. We have city water for our house. I've noticed alot of calcium buildup on our shower fixtures(which are new). It also builds up on our water dispenser tray on our fridge. I assume it is calcium? White deposits. Is there a way to filter this out as it comes into the house without spending an arm and a leg, and that doesn't take alot of maintenance?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

estone

Reaction score
Thanks I'll have the water tested. It is city water, which is well water that I assume they treat. Not sure why we are getting so much white deposits on our shower heads and fixtures. Maybe they over treat it?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The white stuff could be hardness scale, or TDS, chlorides or sulfates etc..

You can go to the water company's web site and find their water quality report and then find hardness or total hardness as CaCo3.

Usually they state it as low, average and high, you need the high figure. Or buy a test kit and test it yourself. There is no sense in paying a certified lab what they want for hardness test on city water.

If you have more than 3-4 gpg of hardness, I suggest a correctly sized softener based on the family size, number of bathrooms and the type of fixtures in them and it should have a Clack WS-1 control valve on it. The Clack WS-1 is the latest version of the Fleck piston seal and spacer design and is the easiest and fastest to program and repair and there are no special tools needed as there is with Fleck valves. It was invented by 3 ex Fleck engineers that had a combined 72 years at Fleck. It is a much better valve than the Fleck 5600 or 2510 or 7000. I have sold them all, 18 yrs as a Fleck guy and over 5 yrs selling the Clack WS-1. Out of 2000 Clack WS-1 valves, I've had only 22 problems. When I sold Fleck I had many more problems with fewer valves; because of problems and excessive water use, I quit selling the 7000 just 15 months after it came on the market Feb 1 2005. It is the only Fleck valve that can be compared to the features of the Clack WS-1.

estone

Reaction score
I just irriates me that the city can charge such premium rates for not so premium water. But on the Eastern plains of Colorado our water is like gold so it brings a premium price. Maybe I should just soften or treat OUR well water? Was told it has some nitrates in it so most people around were given cheap water taps to get city water service. It tastes good to me? Probably should have it tested?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks