splitting water line

Users who are viewing this thread

djwater

Reaction score
Hi, I am a completely novice plumber and I am trying to add a bottleless watercooler to my kitchen setup. It involves what they claim is a 10 minute install with a standard sized waterline. I would like to put the cooler right next to the refrigerator, which already has a waterline going into it and is the only waterline in that area of that kitchen. Is it feasible to split that waterline and use it for both the refrigerator and the watercooler? If so, is it something a novice can do, or should I hire a professional? How much would a plumber charge to do something like this? Thanks in advance, plumber people!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size water line does the thing require? Most of the small tubing used for refrigerators may not be big enough for two devices. It isn't hard to cut that line, put in a T-connector and then run it off to multiple devices, but again, it may not have sufficient size. My unprofessional opinion.

djwater

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. The refrigerator is a whirlpool, it is a mid-sized unit in a 1-bedroom apartment in NYC. The water line going into it would really just be used for an ice maker which is used a light to normal amount. No idea what size water line is going into it now. The water cooler I am going to install calls for a 1/4 inch outside diameter water line, and I would probably be using like 5 gallons of water a week at most, not too serious a load. The product I am getting is from http://www.aquaverve.com in case you are curious. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like a T connection, and some more pipe. One of the pros may have some thoughts....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks