cartridge circulator

Users who are viewing this thread

estone

Reaction score
I have a three zone system that I am in the process of replacing a Honeywell zone valve motor on one of zones(living room). I have had to wait for the part to come in. I tapped on the zone valve initially and the motor started working for a couple more days and then quit again. Now I have resorted to opening and closing the ball valve whenever I need heat to the living room zone until the motor comes in.
Last night I wasn't sure if I am paranoid about noises coming from the boiler room or not but it seems the Taco cartridge circulator is running all the time. Is that normal? I thought it only turned on when it called for heat?
Anyway, is it possible that the zone valve motor going out could have caused the cartridge circulator to malfunction or fail too.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If that was the only valve, it was closed, and the thermostat called for heat, it doesn't help the circulator if it runs against a closed valve. May not hurt it, but it doesn't help. If the pump ran dry because there was air in the system, since the bearings are lubricated by the water, that would cause it to wear out. If the pump is oversized, I guess it's possible you could get some cavitation, which would make noise.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The end switch in the zone valve that calls the circulator is in the closed position. Pull the wires off the zone valve untill you get the new one.

estone

Reaction score
The bad zone valve is stuck open. So I was using the ball valve downstream to let water flow to the living room when it got cold. Then at night to keep it from running all night I closed the ball valve. But water was still going through the stuck open zone valve and was stopped by the ball valve. I woke up to hearing the circulator running. And it seemed louder than normal, and I suppose because it was running all night. do you think it had some water in it? I don't think it ran dry?

1. I assume the system will run normally when I replace the zone valve motor?
2. If the circulator sounds louder than normal when things are up and running again, are there parts you can replace? Bearings, etc.? Or do you have to buy a new circulator(model 007-F4). Do I need a plumber to do the work?

Thanks for the help

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds louder because it's pushing against a closed loop and perhaps cavitating. It should be fine when you change out the ZV. in the meantime pull the wires off the valve so it doesn't continually call the circulator. Sheeees..

estone

Reaction score
Shut the system down as soon as I noticed that morning that it was cavitating. Now I will pull the wires off so I can turn the system back on.
When replacing the zone valve motor, I think I was told to have the manual control arm in the far left open position. Right?
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks