Newbie with septic tank questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tipsinartok

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just came upon these forums will trying to find information about septic tanks. I hope this is an okay place to post my questions. I've noticed a couple other thread about septic tanks. My questions have two parts.

We're looking at buying a property that has a septic tank that is 28 years old. The owners built it oversized as they had planned on building a bigger house eventually and never did. They say it's only been pumped 3 times in that time, though they're willing to get it pumped again prior to us purchasing it. We will get a septic inspection done as well, but I'm wondering if there's anything we should be aware of or any other questions to ask about it?

Also, next to the property is a septic field for a local children's camp, that is only in session for less than 2 months of the year. The current owners of the property say that their kids used to play on that property and created trails through the forest, etc and no one minded. But I wonder if there is anything we should be aware of as far as living right next to a septic field. Are there problems with smell or cleanliness or anything like that?

Thanks to anyone with information!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It all depends on the soil and drainage and how well it was put together in the first place. A tank that has not been pumped that allowed solids to be washed into the leach field will eventually clog the field, requiring replacement. Depending on what they put down the tank and its size, you may or may not have problems...it's a good idea to pump it more often than that. It could be a costly oversite, or you could be lucky.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is possible that a tank 1500 gallons or bigger could be pumped at that frequency with 2 adults living in the house and be okay.
I would insist on a pumping and inspection before buying the house.

Here is a link with information on the pumping frequency for septic tanks.
http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/tankpump.htm

I would look over that site really well it is probably the best information source I have ever seen on septic tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks