(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gerber Ultraflush pressure assist toilet review and comments.

been doing plumbing since mid 1950's johnshcarter's Avatar

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen the company with a long and excellent reputation and excellent products sold out to someone whose idea of "how to succeed in making more money" is to cheapen the product in some fashion. SLOAN VALVE has been a business to be proud of for a long, long, long time. In fifty years, I have seen good performance for their products. The same was true for Gerber before it was sold to some outfit from China. Their toilet is NOT a Gerber and its pressure tank system is NOT a SLOAN, no matter what it says on the box. I will not buy a toilet from any company which, itself, is not at least twenty-five years old and which has a "tried and true" product line. Wake up American Business. Off-shore sourcing is NOT the way to go unless you are a "fast buck artist" and plan to get lots of $ for 3-5 years and then leave.
    jc.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And a straight on view of the Flushmate unit.

Terry, Thanks for this Web site. A number of years ago, I bought a Gerber w/ a Sloan Flushmate system after reading a review on this site. It has been extremely reliable - and the "flush" is sometimes a part of a tour of our house for 1st time visitors as it has been such a good consumer product and I want to encourage others to use good environmental practices. Last year I bought the the EcoFlushWDI Technology 1.6/1.1 dual flush tank for the bathroom my wife likes to use, even though I understood that the Gerber Brand had been bought out by a company in China. Here's the secret of using this toilet. If you push down on the handle as hard as you would on the original 1.6 Gal Gerber, it doesn't work reliably and you will be disappointed compared to the originally owned Gerber brand. However, if you press the handle down or up with a light touch, it works well.

Anyway, I know you have been pleased with the Toto drake brand toilet. Given that, are there an pressure toilets you would recommend? The noise really doesn't bother anyone I know (stout Mid-western Upbringing and all).
    Last edited by Terry; 03-12-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added link

So I got the 1.6gal Ultra Flush this past weekend and did the install today (or at least tried to install it today). Everything thing went fine, got the old toilet off and installed the new one without any hiccups. Turned on the water, heard the pressure tank fill, and then flushed... What the heck? Water sprays out from between the tank and the bowl (and it sprays big time!!). The toilet did flush a bit, but nothing like it should. I take off the tank and make sure the seal and everything else is in place. Reattach the tank and try again... water flys out again between the tank and the bowl. Sigh...

So after a few more times of trying to adjust seal etc without any improvement (my bathroom is now soaked by the way, ha), I took a closer look and realize that the hole (where the flush valve assembly slips into) where the water flows into from the tank has standing water in it, and I don't mean a 1/16" of water, I mean the water is almost at the rim. I watch it for a few minutes and see that it is slowly going down and into the bowl (I presume). I get a cup of water and pour it into the hole again and it fills up completely without going down, at least not quickly. This does not seem normal in the least bit.

It seems to me that there is some kind of issue with the internal plumbing of the toilet that is preventing the toilet from flushing correctly, and in turn, causing the "ultra flush" to blow water out from the spud gasket (in between the tank and the bowl). Anyone have thoughts? Dang defective toilet!

Oh, so at the end of the day, I reinstall the old toilet - a total waste of a day. Sigh...
    Last edited by CintheUP; 03-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.

I called up Gerber today and told them what was going on (see above story). After hearing the issues, the rep says that yes, the toilet has some type of internal defect and that I need to exchange it. They apologized and are getting a new one sent to the nearest wholesaler for me to exchange the non-working one with. A pain in the ass, but at least they are helping getting the issue resolved.
    Cheers.

Default I worked for Gerber 30+ years

Quote Originally Posted by CintheUP View Post
    I called up Gerber today and told them what was going on (see above story). After hearing the issues, the rep says that yes, the toilet has some type of internal defect and that I need to exchange it. They apologized and are getting a new one sent to the nearest wholesaler for me to exchange the non-working one with. A pain in the ass, but at least they are helping getting the issue resolved.
    Cheers.
    I have read with much interest the preceeding posts about Gerber...I SLAVED My A** OFF for this FAMILY OWNED Company for over 30 years. I was in R&D, Middle Management and a "Self made" Ceramic Engineer. I started out as General Labor and CLAWED my way up.
    The "Kids" took over the company and sent it into bankruptcy. Werner (Owner of Globe Union) bought it out....within 6 months the factory in New Jersey closed. Then the ONLY factory in the USA that was PROFITABLE closed in 2004. 2 1/2 years later the company closed 2 additional factories in Indiana, that were NON-Profitable since the 1980's. I KNOW, I was in the THICK of it.
    The company Moved all production to China, (Asia they called it, to speak China was a terminating offense!) and a small percentage to Mexico. I worked in Mexico and China over 2 years after the closing of the factories here. I finally got fed up with the Hypocrites and "Educated Idiots" and quit....I could say a lot more but, will only stick to obvious facts.
    They should replace all of the defective ones and supply the labor ! What really bothers me is the fact, The company (Werner) claims the production was moved for "Cheap Labor" I have been looking at the prices of the Bowl/Tank combos....The prices have more than Trippled....and Manufacturing Costs have reuced to 1/8 the price of the pre-Asian moves! IF I can find ToTo or Kohler in a month or two I will buy one of their "Ultra Flush" models as we called them.
    The old 21-228, 3.5G Bowl was one of the best flushers I ever worked with. I designed a lot of the "Improvements" to the Major sellers and high end products before quitting.
    When calling the "Factory Rep" where did you call? Chicago or a local Rep? Just curious as I still have a few contacts in Chicago (Lincolnwood now). If any of you people need any technical assistance feel free to PM me or email me. I will answer any questions that I possibly can....TD

To everyone that has the EcoFlush toilets, DO NOT be Scammed and pay the $8.99 shipping fee when you have DEFECTIVE parts from your EcoFlush pods. Why does anyone need to pay it when the damn things FAIL all the time??? If EcoFlush/WDI tells you to pay for any shipping fee, you just need to contact the Toilet manufactures (i.e. ZURN, GERBER, MANSFIELD, AMERICAN STANDARD etc..). I don't have these toilet manufacture info but you can just google them. These EcoFlush pods have a 10 years warranty, and no one should pay for any DEFECTIVE products, plus WASTING your time on these BS products. Buy American (Sloan)!

TO ALL OF YOU WHO OWNS ANY ECOFLUSH PRESSURE-ASSISTED TOILETS,

You will have nothing but problems! These EcoFlush pods' have many many changes all the time. They are trying to bandage all the design flaws and quality problems. If you call their Technical Supports, they have only 2 guys working there and had been LYING to the customers that nothing wrong with those pods!!! Hopefully, NONE of you are being fooled to pay the shipping charge when the damm thing is defective! These EcoFlush B8104, B8106 and B8100 pods do not work like Terry said. They leak, water-log, have hissing sound from the pinholes, have cracks, and other failures.

Someone in the plumbing industry mentioned this WDI/EcoFlush engineer, who left Pfisher/Stanley Black & Decker and went to work for WDI. This engineer is so frustrated with his new bosses because they have no clue in management. They just push him to lie to their customers (American Standard, Zurn, Gerber, Mansfield, Crane, and others) that everything is OK. The higher up, Kevin Oak, CEO of the company writes like a 3rd grader. How can any reputable company be running by an idiot? This speaks alot about their products....

EcoFlush and WDI are owned by a chinese company, WDI, located in china. They use WDI International Inc. in the states. STOP BUYING CHEAPLY MADE IN CHINA CRAPS! Go with SLOAN, NOT the copycat pods from EcoFlush. They have quality pressure-assisted products and are proudly Made in USA!
    Last edited by Terry; 11-09-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My son James pulled out a WDI EcoFlush in a Seattle Highrise last week. He replaced the tank with a Flushmate. Flushmate has been a solid product.

Last edited by Terry; 04-28-2013 at 03:50 PM.