Well only produces 1/2 gallon per min

Users who are viewing this thread

rchaney99

Reaction score
Hi,

We are buying a house that is on a well. The well was drilled in 1996 to 300 feet deep - it was producing 3-5 gallons per min. The well was then deepened in 2001 to 600 feet and it was producing 1-2 gallons per min (according to the papers I got from the New Mexico State Engineers office).

Today I had my well inspected. The well is now only producing less than 1/2 gallon per min (690 or so gallons per day).

The well has a 2000 gallon storage tank.

Im lost as to what to do. Do you think this will be enough for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children)? Plus we have 20 fruit trees in the yard to water. We are very consious of water use (dont let the water run while brushing teeth, etc).

Any help would be greatly appricaited.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you planning on doing when it drops to 0 gallons per minute?

A family of 4 can live on 1/2 gallon a minute. The fruit trees, IMO, aren't likely to make it though. Find out the average depth of wells in your area. You may need to drill deeper or drill in another location.

BTW if you bought the property under the assumption that the well was producing 1-2 gallons a minute you may have legal recourse. A half gallon a minute is not considered a viable water source in my town.
-rick

Last edited:

rchaney99

Reaction score
The average family uses 60 gals/person/day. You didn't say what the static water level is in the well or the depth of the pump, or how much water used for the trees but, a 6" well has 1.47 gals/ft of water in the well above the pump inlet. And, you have a 2000 gal storage tank...

I was told 100 gallons per day per person is the new usage statistic.

Its a 6 in well. I dont know the water level. All I know is the inspector totally drained the well - doing calculations every 10 min or so on water depth. He then let the well fill back up and checked it every 10 min for an hour. That is how he got the less than 1/2 gallon per min statistic. His recomendation was deepen the well or get a new well.

The trees take about 100 gallons of water per week (very dry here). That is an estimate from the current owners. We do not own the house yet, just in the process of buying it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks