Got contractors estimates, but will they charge extra to remove shingles?

Users who are viewing this thread

eastinway

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need more opinions please being a single female homeowner....I am in the process of having my home vinyl sided and also my roof reshingled.

I have received several estimates (proposals), some including removal of existing wood shingles and some with no removal just going over the exisiting shingles with the vinyl.

Also, some with removal of roof shingles and some leaving the shingles on and placing new roof shingles on top of the old.

My question: Will the price change drastically if I ask for removal of both house and roof shingles.....

I'm confused and want the job done right....not knowing this kind of business, I'm afraid they may drive the price way up if I ask them to remove everything.

Thank you.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking...

- will it cost extra to remove & haul away the old shingles, than to just got over them? Yes.

- does that mean it's a good idea to go over the old? No.

eastinway

Reaction score
Reply to Frenchi

To make this simple:
I have received (2) estimates from 2 different contractors for siding and new roof. Both contractors DO NOT want to remove the wood shingles and the roof shingles.....just simply go over the existing material.

Will the price go higher if I hire them and ask them to remove all existing shingles, including the roof ones?

Cookie

Reaction score
In my state, you cannot have more than 3 layers of shingles. Too much weight on your roof is not good for your house. When I had my house reshingled, they were history, and sure it cost more, how much more I guess it depends on the roofer. I found a great roofer who lived on my own road and my kids used to go to school with his.

My brother in law had asbestos shingles removed and that was very costly. Their are special precautions and they had to be disposed of differently also.

Good luck to you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In some places, the tippage fee (cost to use the dump) is quite high, in some it is pretty cheap. Same thing with the cost of renting a dumpster (if they don't own one). Time and tippage/transport fees are what you'll pay for. As said earlier, you may have some hidden damage on areas of the roof and there's no good way to tell unless you remove things first. If there's two layers on the roof now, you really don't have a choice.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
If the siding is wood shingles, I think it is better to leave them in place (better protection against leaks). DO NOT reroof over existing shingles on the roof ... they will not look as nice nor will they last as long.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get more estimates

get more estimates, and get estimates for how you want the work done...

if they dont want to do the work , then tell them
to go to hell...

their are plenty of hungry people out there wanting to
do that kind of work , all you got to do is find the right one willing to take it all off the way you want it done....

with roofing contractors, I also suggest you find one that is with Angies list and the BBB and
accepts VISA and Master Card........

If they dont accept master card, that usually means the check gets cashed the day the work starts and they never return to warranty anything...

I would rather pay a few hundred dollars more and know
that I can tie up their money for 60 --90 days out with VISA than see them hit the road and never return......

paying the bill with plastic is good insurance...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks