I believe Rheem is losing their Reputation in Quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
I happen to be in the mkt for a new water heater; i was actually thinking about going tankless, but think you guys scared me straight from all the negative threads I've seen about them here. The gas company guy was out last week and pointed out that my current water heater is almost 30 yrs old! Assuming it's on borrowed time.

So what's the best name in std gas water heater? Sounds like Bradford White?

But I saw here, that they're not available retail; is this true? I was going to DIY it...

Thanks for any advice!

Nate R

Reaction score
I happen to be in the mkt for a new water heater; i was actually thinking about going tankless, but think you guys scared me straight from all the negative threads I've seen about them here. The gas company guy was out last week and pointed out that my current water heater is almost 30 yrs old! Assuming it's on borrowed time.

But I saw here, that they're not available retail; is this true? I was going to DIY it...

Thanks for any advice!

I seem to recall that when you look at what's available to consumers, Richmond isn't a bad choice.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net

Thanks for any advice!

Most plumbing supply houses will sell a home owner a water heater. So all you need to do is find the local supply house that carries Bradford White and head on in and buy it.

Gdog

Reaction score
Hey guys; thanks for the input.

So i call my local George Morlan plumbing supply (they're listed on Bradford White website as distributor) and the first guy i talked to said they don't carry BW heaters. Hang up call another GM store across town; "oh yeah we carry a few BW... but you should really look at Reliant".

Anyway they can order the BW too so now i have a source for BW heater. But both GM stores are pushing their "preferred" brand Reliant. They say they're much better value and they have had fewer problems in the field with Reliant than BW heaters. They told me i can only get the 50 gallon BW gas in a 6 yr, whereas the Reliant is available in same size but with 12 yr warranty for about the same price.

Comments?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hey guys; thanks for the input.

So i call my local George Morlan plumbing supply (they're listed on Bradford White website as distributor) and the first guy i talked to said they don't carry BW heaters. Hang up call another GM store across town; "oh yeah we carry a few BW... but you should really look at Reliant".

Anyway they can order the BW too so now i have a source for BW heater. But both GM stores are pushing their "preferred" brand Reliant. They say they're much better value and they have had fewer problems in the field with Reliant than BW heaters. They told me i can only get the 50 gallon BW gas in a 6 yr, whereas the Reliant is available in same size but with 12 yr warranty for about the same price.

Comments?

To be honest I never heard of Reliant, tried to google them cannot find a website for them but found many complaints.

Gdog

Reaction score
Sorry; I mis-spoke it's Reliance brand.

I asked who makes them; he said Reliance. Any experience with this brand?

Thanks again!

Gdog

Reaction score
Well I guess I jinxed it!

My 27 year old AO Smith WH popped its cork last night and started spewing onto the garage floor. What makes its age even more incredible is that for 23 of those years (before we moved in and installed a whole house water pressure regulating valve) it was under over 100 psi water pressure!

Was going to order a bradford white but since this thing popped had to move fast; went with the 6 yr Reliance 50 gallon from George Morlan. Installed it last night and seems to be working fine except noticing some strange stuff:
1. Excessive air-ation of hot water out of faucets; almost like it's seltzer; the bubbles disipate pretty quickly though. See pic1 is hot; pic 2 is cold for comparison.
2. Residue in the hot water; building up on sink drain; see pic 3.
3. Wife notices weird smell (not sulfer) in hot water. I can't smell it; sniffer doesn't work too well from years of working in shop environment.

Any ideas? Is this normal for a new WH? Thanks!

Attachments

• P4150007s.jpg
    P4150007s.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 688
  • P4150008s.jpg
    P4150008s.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,312
  • P4150011s.jpg
    P4150011s.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 672
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks