No floor drain available.

Users who are viewing this thread

wamp73

Reaction score
I'm finishing out my basement and have a water heater which is on the main floor, it will be above a finished ceiling when the project is complete.
I want to move it into the basement. My problem is that there is no floor drain in my basement. I want to put the electric water heater in a room that has vent and drain stacks as well as the electric furnace and air handler. Is there an acceptable way to plumb the T/P valve and a drain from a water pan into the drain stacks? Or does anyone have any other suggestions that could solve my problem?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'm finishing out my basement and have a water heater which is on the main floor, it will be above a finished ceiling when the project is complete.
I want to move it into the basement. My problem is that there is no floor drain in my basement. I want to put the electric water heater in a room that has vent and drain stacks as well as the electric furnace and air handler. Is there an acceptable way to plumb the T/P valve and a drain from a water pan into the drain stacks? Or does anyone have any other suggestions that could solve my problem?

The T&P line usually dumps to the pan or another place that is visible. You need to be able to see if your T&P is dripping.

tp_2.jpg

T&P Valve looking at two sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

wamp73

Reaction score
If I dump the TP to the pan. Is it then ok to plumb the pan into the drain stack as I would a sink with a p-trap?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If I dump the TP to the pan. Is it then ok to plumb the pan into the drain stack as I would a sink with a p-trap?

That depends on your local codes. I've seen some places want the pan to discharge outside, I've seen others where it could be tied into sanitary via an indirect connection. An indirect basically means it has to drip into a waste receptor (not directly tied), and of course the receptor needs a trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The problem with connecting EITHER one of them to the sanitary system with a trap is that the trap will ALWAYS be dry, since neither of them will, or should, replenish the water in the trap when it evaporates. The drain pan is seldom connected to the sewer because it would overflow during a backflow condition.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The problem with connecting EITHER one of them to the sanitary system with a trap is that the trap will ALWAYS be dry.

Good point. I was answering between projects, normally IF we run pan to sanitary it is through a primered floordrain or a hub drain that is catching condensate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks