Kitchen Faucet pressure drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm wondering what is "normal" for pressure/volume drop in a kitchen faucet? I have 1/2" pipe feeding the kitchen sink and the pressure is 40-50 psi. My original faucet (a Price Pfister 2-handle) never had seemed to flow more than about 40% of the water available, as if it's just pouring out with limited pressure. Today I installed a Tuscany single handle and the flow even seems worse. I suspect that much of the loss in both cases is caused by the reduction of the "pipe" size within the valve cartridge.

I have no problems getting 5 gpm from pipe at the shut-off valve, with great pressure. Is my problem merely the "cheap" faucets or am I missing something?

p.s. - The aerator is new and spotless.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of that is federally mandated...they limit the flow. I think it's in the area of 2.5gpm and lower for a vanity faucet. The only unrestricted valve is for the tub, but not for the shower. Well, those for a washing machine are not restricted, either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks