single handle tub/shower faucet problem

Users who are viewing this thread

amateur4sure

Reaction score
Hello: I'm new to this group. Our single handle shower faucet started leaking badly a couple of days ago. We decided to replace the cartridge. Following the instructions in my DIY book, I removed the handle, sleeve and retaining clip.
The book says that the cartridge should pull out easily, but it won't come out. Called a local plumbers supply co. and they said it should come out too, but it won't even after rocking it in and out. The people at the supply co. said I should check the manufacturers web site, but since we lost the cap on the handle, we have no idea who made it. My brother, who put a replacement cartridge in about 15 years ago says he thinks it was a Moen. Are we at the end of the road?
Or do we need to replace the entire assembly? (Lots of welding involved there and we have only done simple DIY projects like replacing the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom sink and installing a new garbage disposal unit.)
My mother and I live on fixed incomes and my brother just lost his job so avoiding the plumber is desirable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
This tool will pull it out.If it is a moen 1225 they ca be b***h to get out some times.

Attachments

• Moen-Cartridge-Puller-for-Single-Handle-Cartridges~img~MOE~MOE2520_m.jpg
    Moen-Cartridge-Puller-for-Single-Handle-Cartridges~img~MOE~MOE2520_m.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

amateur4sure

Reaction score
tub/shower faucet problem

Thanks. So the cartridge must be one of those pressure-balanced ones; my brother had been sure it wasn't. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks