Stuck Compression Ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Leif Palmer

Reaction score
I'm trying to put a new angle stop under my kitchen sink.

Only problem is...the old compression ring won't come off and the new stop is a bit shorter on the inside than the old one. Won't seal (or even start threading.) Or else I'd just use the old ring and comp nut.

Apply heat? Or what?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
If you have enough copper tube,cut it off and clean the end of the tube and
install new valve.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling on the nut with pliers¿ It can be sketchy though if you have a solder joint barely holding on for dear life below or behind the sink.

Also check out this thread about 13 posts down...

gorry_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Leif Palmer

Reaction score
Have you tried pulling on the nut with pliers¿ It can be sketchy though if you have a solder joint barely holding on for dear life below or behind the sink.

Also check out this thread about 13 posts down...
Hmm...maybe I'll stumble down to the building supply and see if I can find a sleeve puller...

If not, I guess I'll just cut into the drywall and sweat on a coupling :D

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Leif Palmer

Reaction score
No plumbing supply in this Big Island village.

We're lucky to have a full service lumberyard.

But they didn't have a sleeve puller. Figures.

I'm gonna try cutting the trim ring back with metal shears.

Then maybe I can get a good hold with pliers on the sleeve.

If not, plan B is to open up the drywall and get some room for the tubing cutter...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you try to get a ferrule off by grabbing it with pliers, you are likely to squeeze to hard and bend the pipe. A puller is the way to do it. Some folks will take a dremel, and make a slice in the ferrule. Be very careful!

Leif Palmer

Reaction score
OK...I got it.

I used a mini-hacksaw to cut 3/16 off the end of the copper tube. Then I used the old nut and sleeve with the new 1/4 turn stop...

I know, I know... real plumbers will jeer at me for not making it all new.

But shoot, I needed to get the hot water back on :eek:

Now next problem...maybe I oughta make a new thread, but let's see if I can bumble along with this one.

I got a shower with a two handle American Standard Cadet valve. First the porcelain handles gave out, but they turn real easy, so I just used 'em with the knurled handle base that was left.

Then they started to leak and I replaced the rubber, but the seats had nicks in 'em.

Those seats are long (1 3/16) and hard to find. Local supply house didn't have them and I contacted the place that has that file above. But they are back ordered and not available...yet.

Now the shower's been leaking for about two months. Still no seats. Can anybody direct me to the most comprehensive supply house in the USA? Getting a couple seats shouldn't be this hard...:rolleyes:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
looks like the newer aqua seal stems and they can be tricky.if not installed
properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks