(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Ridgid K-50

Hybrid View

Unhappy Ridgid K-50

hi everyone, first of all i'm a new bee for this site. I bought a used ridgid K50 w/o a cable. Today i got a size 5,8' cable for this K-50 model. Does this model feed the cable itself? when i pressed down the clutch the cable is turned but it does not feed itself. Do i have to push the cable? please help

Last edited by Terry; 04-30-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

You have to pull out enough cable then press the lever to spin the cable and feed in the slack. Then release the lever pull more of the cable out to get a little slack press the lever again and feed in while its spinning. These cables come in 7 feet sections and there should be a guide hose that attach's to the back, you only feed in the 7 feet at a time. Be sure when the cables click together that you see the pin pop back up.

They still sell those?
    I thought they only sold those at pawn shops and junk shops...
    You'd have to be some kinda masochist to want one of them...

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking I have 4 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    They still sell those?
    I thought they only sold those at pawn shops and junk shops...
    You'd have to be some kinda masochist to want one of them...

Oh, please sir Redwood, I must protest ...

the Rigid K50 is probably the most versatile small sewer machine you can buy..... I have used them for years and years, I dont think you can break one either....they keep running and running...

I wince when I think of carrying some god awful heavy spartan or some other
    crappy looking heavy drum type machine into someones home.....

they are simply the best for the average kitchen sink, or other medium sized drain lines.....under 3 inch ..

I have 4 of them sitting in my office, two still in excellent condition and the other two ready to be thrown away....

as far as getting through nasty drains , and being able to reverse them back and forth, you simply cant beat them....

mine have certainly paid for themselves since the early 90s...

I just dont care to wallow around in shit anymore and
    am too busy with other cleaner plumbing passtimes....

Ratz, and Redwood
    what is considered the best one out there these days anyway???

Redwood, I am talking about a nice machine that you dont need
    a wench to get in and out of your truck.

or a truss for your hernia the next day

I use a Ridgid K-3800 on the small drains and a Ridgid K-7500 for mains...

One arm carries the K-3800...
    And the K-7500 rolls just fine stair climbers too...

It's funny...

I hear more plumbers swear that the sectional machines are the next best thing that happened since God invented oxygen for us to breath...

Then in their next sentence they say that they don't do drains anymore cause it was too much of a bother...

I'm not complaining...
    Today I did a major rebuild on a toilet, Repiped a kitchen sink drain, Rebuilt a kitchen sink faucet, and ran 4 drain lines... About $2K...

I run the hell out of my machines...

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    I use a Ridgid K-3800 on the small drains and a Ridgid K-7500 for mains...

One arm carries the K-3800...
    And the K-7500 rolls just fine stair climbers too...
    I was given a Ridgid K-750 for testing by Ridge, Its an OK machine my father really likes it. Then they gave us a K-7500 the total "redesign" of the 750 I hated it with every fiber of my being. It would not feed the cable out nice or pull it in, tried to manual pull the cable out and push it in and it was a bear. Give me a 1065 any day. Hell I rather run a Marco LT -90 than that Ridge k-7500 If you never ran a Marco LT-90 DON'T it almost killed me) I think of they gave the K-750 an inner drum kept the feed and widen the stance by two inches it would of been a great drum machine.

The sectional machines the only one that has it right is Ridgid or Rothenberger. I do like that Rothenberger large machine the R750 can turn the 1 cable and the ⅞ cable with out any changes to the machine. Then you can insert a clamp clip to spin the ⅝ cable and they do make clamp clip for smaller cables as well, so one machine to rod drains from " to 8" lines is impressive to me.

Now drum machines the only way to go is with a Spartan tool machine they by far are the best compared to General Ridged, Electric Ell, DuraCable, Marco, and all the other drum types out there. I carry a K-50 with 75' of ⅝ and two drums one with " cable and the other with ⅜" cable on my truck along with a Spartan 100 and a 1065. Also have a pistol rod a Ro-Pump, a small electric Viking Jetter, and a kinetic water ram, along with my assortment of toilet augers. Oh almost forgot my two canvas sludge bags a 4" and a 6", oh and a 125' hand rod with three ball sizes.

Now I have other machines like the Electric Ell Model C its great for crawl spaces. A Ridged K-1000 for rodding 8" to 24" sewers from manhole to manhole. A few Ridged main line machines K-500, K-1500 K-1500 lowboy. Which all I have used I find each machine has its place.

Now for picking a drum machine over a sectional machine. I can not really do that. There are times where I am in the mood to use a sectional machine for a month or two, then I switch back to my Spartans. I found that the sectionals do great with soft blockages and grease. Where a drum machine works wonders with heavy tree roots. Yes a sectional machine can clear tree roots if you take the time to work the cable a whole lot more. Where as a drum machine you can get a "bite" into the roots and build up torque to tear them up.

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    I found that the sectionals do great with soft blockages and grease. Where a drum machine works wonders with heavy tree roots. Yes a sectional machine can clear tree roots if you take the time to work the cable a whole lot more. Where as a drum machine you can get a "bite" into the roots and build up torque to tear them up.
    I have no problems with any clog...
    But I'll tell you I love torquing up that cable on roots then snapping it back and plunging it into the roots again as it unwinds...

Thats Choppin Wood!

I don't have any problems with the feed.
    I've been using the same machine about 7 or 8 years now...
    I put some bearings in a few times but thats to be expected...
    Last edited by Redwood; 04-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Default ridgid k50

Thank guys. I learned alot from this site. I thought mine is broken. Another question: what kind of grease to I used when i clean up this ridgid k50? Thank you