Toilet Flange Adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

pjw

Reaction score
I am replacing a toilet in a powder room in which I did a ripout. The toilet was set on an iron flange on an iron pipe. The floor is a concrete slab, where I am laying ceramic tile. The old flange is in very good shape and solid to the floor. After I install the ceramic tile, the flange will be slightly below the tile surface. So I went out and purchased a Set-Rite flange extension kit, but I'm slightly confused. The new extender will fit fine and I'll use Tapcon screws to bolt it to the slab - so far no big deal. The instructions on the Set-Rite says to use a wax ring, which will seal the extender (and spacing ring) to the existing pipe. So now I'm good with the flange. The instructions say nothing about when I set the toilet on the flange. Should I use another wax ring on the toilet? It seems to me that if I did not, I'd not have a good seal between the toilet and the new (extended) flange. With two rings, I'd have the seal there for the new plastic adapter to the pipe AND a seal between the toilet and the adapter.

Am I on the right track. Thanks very much!! Paul

pjw

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! One followup question: Since the existing flange is in good shape and very solid to the floor, think I can get away with attaching the flange adapter to the iron flange with small nuts & screws rather then the Tapcon directly into the concrete? Thanks again. Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A CI flange in concrete probably won't move much. As long as you can get the two anchored together, you should be okay. You may want to use SS or brass fasteners, otherwise, they may not be there after awhile. Some prefer lead anchors and ss screws since a tapcon could rust eventually. It's better to anchor it into the slab.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Can you fit the closet bolts into the CI flange, slide the extenders down over that and then use a nut on the closet bolts to hold it together?

Then you throw down a wax ring, toilet and another set of nuts.

You might need extra long (use stainless) closet bolts.

pjw

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen! Matter of fact, the Fluidmaster wax rings I bought are extra thick and come with really long johnny bolts, so that may well be the trick. I went looking for a toilet today and the only two stores around here, Lowes and Home Depot, stock only toilets for a 12" rough-in. Bummer, since I have 10". Another quest.

Thanks for the great advice - awful glad I surfed on in to this site.

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks