(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: A couple of DWV questions

Default A couple of DWV questions

About to start on a bathroom remodel and not lots of plumbing experience.

1. A 1 1/2 " drain from single vanity sink will connect on the horizontal with a 2" drain line from the shower. Each are previously vented. Is it correct that they be connected with a "y" fitting?

2. I understand that a cleanout is not required on a toilet line (end or line), as there is access to pipe by removing the toilet. True?

3. Which need cleanouts--sink drain or shower drain?

John

In most juresdictions

1) yes
    2)true
    3) Clean out or union p-trap at sink

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Some codes do require a clean out for the building drain to be installed, they do not conceder a water closet being removed as a clean out access.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    they do not conceder a water closet being removed as a clean out access.
    Some home warranty companies second that motion.

Default dwv

1. A 1 1/2 " drain from single vanity sink will connect on the horizontal with a 2" drain line from the shower. Each are previously vented. Is it correct that they be connected with a "y" fitting?

That is one way, but as long as it is not a tee, unless you do something unique, it should be proper.

2. I understand that a cleanout is not required on a toilet line (end or line), as there is access to pipe by removing the toilet. True?

Even if it were, it would be a bad idea. And sometimes costly because it can take a lot longer to get the snake going in the right direction through the toilet. And you also have to add in the cost of removing the toilet and then reinstalling it. The jobs I hate the most are the ones where the customer decided to "help me" by removing the toilet and the first thing I have to do is replace it so I can check to verify what his problem is.

3. Which need cleanouts--sink drain or shower drain?

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that cannot be cleaned by using a cleanout somewhere else.