Transitioning from 1/2" EMT to 3/4" RNMC

Users who are viewing this thread

kornbln

Reaction score
I have 1/2" EMT attached to the side of a house which comes down the wall into a weatherproof box with a receptacle. A 3/4" RNMC comes up from the ground next to the house, up the wall and into the same box using a male terminal adapter. The problem is whoever installed this didn't do it right. The weatherproox box has 3/4" hubs. The 1/2" EMT has a connecter on it inserted into the box. Just inserted. Not threaded in because it isn't the right size. What should I do to correct this? I was looking at a rigid reducing bushing which will work with an EMT fitting, but apparently they are only for use in dry locations. Should I cut the terminal adapter off the RNMC and glue on a reducer? I was looking at various reducing fittings in the Carlon catalog but I'm not quite sure I understand how they work. If I need multiple pieces, etc.

Also, I want to make sure I am correcting some other portions of this the right way. The original installation was done with die-cast EMT set screw couplings and box fittings. I've replaced all of those with raintight fittings. How does one make RNMC entering a weatherproof box raintight? Do I glue it in or use some sort of thread sealant or anything?

Hope this makes sense, otherwise I can draw a sketch.

Thanks

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would use the 3/4 to 1/2 reducer bushing. Rated for dry locations only is a joke. The threads are the same as the connector.

If you have a LOT of water in that area, just use some teflon tape on the threads. The instructions on WP boxes tell you to use sealant on the KO plugs :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks