Toto Soft Close Repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

BigHornRam

Reaction score
Turning attention back to repairing the valves for use, I've been googling like crazy. I'm wondering if the resin from an epoxy could be used without a hardener. The original substance seems to be a rubber or silicon based gel with molasses type stringy consistency. Interestingly when I removed what was left, I suck it to a cardboard box. Later that evening it has self leveled and ran down the side of the box. This is like nothing I've seen before. Maybe we can come up with a replacement for this gel and many will be able to repair these things. :)

DECJ

Reaction score
I guess I am left wondering what causes the failure in the first place. Those who report that the original fluid has leaked out would seem to point to the o-rings or the hinge casing containing the fluid. In such as case, simply replacing the fluid (even if it was the actual OEM fluid), would probably not last as pressure would likely be lost and/or the fluid would just leak out again over time. Obviously, the first hurdle is finding out what exactly the fluid is. If Toto would share the information as to the supplier or vendor who makes the soft close hinges, then we could contact them to at least find out what the liquid is.

BigHornRam

Reaction score
If Toto would share the information as to the supplier or vendor who makes the soft close hinges
I would have no trouble purchasing replacement hinges. I would think replacing the O-rings in the valve would solve the leakage problem.

DECJ

Reaction score
I would have no trouble purchasing replacement hinges.
I dare say most of us would have no trouble purchasing replacement hinges ... if they were available. I am just not willing to buy a whole new seat assembly which is the only route Toto offers its customers.

TSPORT

Reaction score
Interestingly when I removed what was left, I suck it to a cardboard box. Later that evening it has self leveled and ran down the side of the box. This is like nothing I've seen before. Maybe we can come up with a replacement for this gel and many will be able to repair these things. :)

Ever see the movie "The Blob" (the original with Steve McQueen)? Maybe a little piece of The Blob slipped out of the net when that helicopter was hauling it away after they froze it. The piece regenerated into a huge mass but had a change of heart and decided to be useful to the world instead of consuming it and has been donating little pieces of itself here and there so unnamed vendors can manufacture soft-close toilet seats for toilet companies like Toto! How's that for a long sentence?
OK, seriously, Bemis also makes (or sells) soft close seats sold at the orange big box. Maybe you could contact Bemis and get them to provide some info on the substance they use. -TSPORT
:D

kevin flanagan

Reaction score
toto soft close repair

Has anyone tried K-Y Jelly! It is a thick, glycerin base material that can be used for more than you think! :rolleyes: I have had mine apart and seen the material in it, but haven't tried K-Y Jelly until I read the posts and started thinking on a solution. To remove the mechanism you have to slide the stainless shafts out towards the center (carefully spreading the two plastic retainers-careful....don't break), remove the lid and cover, then you can remove the mechanism, remove the two screws, pull the cover off and look inside. You will see the blue wiper blade, I would fill on both sides of the wiper with the KY, then reassemble. Be careful not to damage the "O" rings, and also the small "O" rings on the screws holding the mechanism together. If your mechanism has leaked, check to make sure all the "O" rings are in good condition. Assemble in the reverse order.....Gauge-Guy

ajl

Reaction score
Fixed!

After reading through this thread, I realized I had encountered something very similar to the clear goo in the SoftClose hinge: QuakeHold Gel.

http://www.quakehold.com/safety-dur...ss-safety-furniture-straps-QHgeldetailQH.html

It's a clear, sticky, rubbery substance that's supposed to keep glassware from flying off the shelf when an earthquake hits. I had used some for the intended purpose and was dismayed to find that, over time, it would run and drip rather than staying in place under the fragile items on my shelves. It sounded like it would be a perfect substitute for the Toto SoftClose mystery goo.

So I opened up my SoftClose hinges and wrapped a strip of the QuakeHold gel around the inner cylinder. I put everything back together... and it works perfectly! It's more viscous than the official goo, but I like it that way.

Hope this helps,
Aaron

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There do not seem to be too many complaints about the soft close seats. There probably have been problems that were not reported on this forum, but since this is a Toto friendly site, it would be logical to think that we would have heard about them. Sorry the original poster had a problem, but an isolated problem does not mean all soft close seats are bad.

MSTUART1

Reaction score
Toto tollit seat hinge fix

Has anyone tried K-Y Jelly! It is a thick, glycerin base material that can be used for more than you think! :rolleyes: I have had mine apart and seen the material in it, but haven't tried K-Y Jelly until I read the posts and started thinking on a solution. To remove the mechanism you have to slide the stainless shafts out towards the center (carefully spreading the two plastic retainers-careful....don't break), remove the lid and cover, then you can remove the mechanism, remove the two screws, pull the cover off and look inside. You will see the blue wiper blade, I would fill on both sides of the wiper with the KY, then reassemble. Be careful not to damage the "O" rings, and also the small "O" rings on the screws holding the mechanism together. If your mechanism has leaked, check to make sure all the "O" rings are in good condition. Assemble in the reverse order.....Gauge-Guy

has any one tried hydraulic fluid? Did THE KY Work?

Ethereal

Reaction score
has any one tried hydraulic fluid? Did THE KY Work?

My seat went out after 9 months. Just the top lid though. I'm sure that my kids' propensity to push the seat down is what did it. Toto is sending me a replacement seat but I'm going to try to fix it myself anyway. I'll try two fluids: Novagard G662 silicone grease, and a thicker silicone grease that I have for lubricating brake caliper pins. You can get silicone grease in all different viscosities, and I'm pretty sure that's what they would use in the factory.

gldnbrew

Reaction score
Yes they can be repaired. I just finished mine. Took several tries but here is solution. Read the rest of the thread first to see how the closer is taken apart. I tried several thick Silicone greases but here is the one that DOES WORK ACE Brand #4095667 Silicone Grease 90% Pure. Warning this stuff is very sticky and gooey. After cleaning old grease out (not necessary if this is your first time), put a SMALL amount on top of each cylinder and go do something for 10 -15 minutes (it wakes awhile to flow down), when it is all settled down add some more, do this until it is almost up to the top of the cylinders. When this is complete reassemble everything and WALLA a seat that works as good as new.

theob88

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip gldnbrew. I purchased two of these seats and one of them failed about about 2 years later. I tried repacking the bad cartridge with vaseline and an automotive grease I have and neither worked. I'm glad you found something that does. I don't know where to buy ACE brand products where I live, but looked it up and it's advertised as an o-ring grease. I found this grease http://www.homedepot.ca/product/silicone-lubricant/910532 on the Home Depot site. It's by Moen and is for valve components but looks to be a similar product. I'll purchase some and see if it does the trick and I'll follow your advice for repacking the cartridge. I'm assuming you reused your o-rings as ones that small are going to be hard to find.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just discovered my 5 year old Toto soft-close seat not closing softly. Lid part works fine.

I took the seat off and noticed the one hinge pin, the one for the seat, had somehow pushed its way outside the 2 plastic prongs that are intended to keep it from moving too far inboard (toward the middle).

I used a small hammer and pounded that hinge pin back into place, and so far seat seems to be working fine now. Nothing wrong with the hydraulics.

Peter Hodgins

Reaction score
I've just taken one of my seats apart that had given up the ghost after 7 years, and the compound inside has the look, smell and texture of Dow Corning DC4 electrical insulation compound. It's very viscous, holds up well at all temperatures, extremely water resistant and is sticky as the devil! I used to have a tube of it laying around, but I can't seem to find it. I'll have to pick up some and try it.

Norm G

Reaction score
For what it's worth, in my house I have 5 such seats. They were all installed new about 10 years ago. Now they are all failing to close softly. Thanks to the great info here, I will attempt to fix them all.

stuart rhodes

Reaction score
From a friend from over the pond,I had a similar problem resolved by adding corn flower to silicon grease and making a thick paste, took a few tries until I fond the wright mix ,but its now working fine hope this helps

Geobrick

Reaction score
Do a google search for Silicone Damping Fluid. There are different viscosities so if you find one that works, let us know. You'll get a lot of hits related to turntable tone arms but I'd assume products aimed at that market will be over priced. Try looking for a generic or industrial usage product.

I think this may be the stuff depending on what viscosity is needed for this application: http://www.clearcoproducts.com/pdf/damping-fluids/NP-PSF-100000cSt.pdf

Now, where can we buy it in a reasonable size and format.

Last edited:

Kbarb

Reaction score
I tried the "ACE Brand #4095667 Silicone Grease" that gldnbrew recommended but it didn't work for me.
I repacked the little cylinders three different times to make sure there was enough grease in them, then put the lid back on causing some squeeze-out. Probably you should fill them and let them sit for 10-15min as advised.
I could feel some resistance when simulating - that is, revolving the seat's lid away from the mounting bracket by hand.
But there wasn't enough damping or resistance to do a slow close when the seat was actually mounted back on the toilet.
And when I opened them up a week later the grease seemed kind of watery.

It could be that the little blue wipers inside have worn, but I kind of doubt it.
In retrospect I don't think the Ace Silicone Grease is either viscous or sticky enough compared to what I originally found in there.

So now I'm thinking to try the "silicone damping fluid" recommended by Geobrick above - although it's expensive - or the KY idea.

Btw, I couldn't really tell from Kevin Flanagan's 3/24/2012 post - the one who first mentioned KY - if it actually worked for him.
Kevin . . . you there ?

Last edited:

Kbarb

Reaction score
Now I've tried KY with no luck either.
Again, it could be that there is something else wrong, or something I'm doing that's not right.

Being in a bit of a hurry, I put the KY in with a syringe, starting at the bottom so as to force it into all the crevices.
I overfilled a bit to cause some squeeze-out, then waited 5 min or so.
But still it didn't work.

I'm wondering if there's an ml or two of air in there if it could kibosh the thing.
It doesn't seem like that's what's going on but I'm wondering.

But now I'm thinking to try the QuakeHold Gel that AJL/Aaron suggested on 4/21/2012

ps: for anyone interested in this thread, to subscribe to it and get notifications you have to click "More Options" at the reply screen and click "and receive email notifications" - it doesn't happen automatically.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks