(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toto Soft Close Repair?

Yes they can be repaired. I just finished mine. Took several tries but here is solution. Read the rest of the thread first to see how the closer is taken apart. I tried several thick Silicone greases but here is the one that DOES WORK ACE Brand #4095667 Silicone Grease 90% Pure. Warning this stuff is very sticky and gooey. After cleaning old grease out (not necessary if this is your first time), put a SMALL amount on top of each cylinder and go do something for 10 -15 minutes (it wakes awhile to flow down), when it is all settled down add some more, do this until it is almost up to the top of the cylinders. When this is complete reassemble everything and WALLA a seat that works as good as new.

Thanks for the tip gldnbrew. I purchased two of these seats and one of them failed about about 2 years later. I tried repacking the bad cartridge with vaseline and an automotive grease I have and neither worked. I'm glad you found something that does. I don't know where to buy ACE brand products where I live, but looked it up and it's advertised as an o-ring grease. I found this grease http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sili...bricant/910532 on the Home Depot site. It's by Moen and is for valve components but looks to be a similar product. I'll purchase some and see if it does the trick and I'll follow your advice for repacking the cartridge. I'm assuming you reused your o-rings as ones that small are going to be hard to find.

DIY Junior Member route99capilano's Avatar

I am having same problems from Alberta. Did the stuff from home depot work theob88??