Replacing Well Pressure Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

thepilo

Reaction score
I have a well pressure tank that is about 45 gallons by size (18" diamater, 48" tall). It is a Galvanized older tank, with out a bladder. Currently It's draw down is only 1 gallon, and refills in just 5.6 seconds. I have already recharged this about 6 months ago. I am trying to figure out what size diaphram tank to go with. Using the above info, I figure I have a 10-11 gpm Pump. I was looking into an equivalent size tank, but if I go with the diaphram type, I don't think that I will need one that large. What is your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it were mine, I would go with a WWT-20 Bladder Tank and a Cycle Stop Valve. You can't go wrong that way.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
It will give you constant pressure, keep your pump and tank from wearing out prematurally and give you peace of mind.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You may have a galv tank for a reason. Galv tanks with bleeder or air injector system mix air with the water. This helps remove the rotten egg smell from sulphur or other things in the water. Switching to a bladder tank may cause the smell to reappear. If the galv tank is there to eliminate odor, you need to stay with a galv tank. If the galv tank is there because it is a really old installation, or because the installer just didn't know any better, you can change to a small bladder tank and CSV.

thepilo

Reaction score
You may have a galv tank for a reason. Galv tanks with bleeder or air injector system mix air with the water. This helps remove the rotten egg smell from sulphur or other things in the water. Switching to a bladder tank may cause the smell to reappear. If the galv tank is there to eliminate odor, you need to stay with a galv tank. If the galv tank is there because it is a really old installation, or because the installer just didn't know any better, you can change to a small bladder tank and CSV.

How can this be verified? The tank is pretty old from what I can tell. I did have a water test, and sulfur was not a problem when I Had that test done in 06.

thepilo

Reaction score
It will give you constant pressure, keep your pump and tank from wearing out prematurally and give you peace of mind.

bob...

Does this cause the pump to run the whole time while taking a shower or using the hose... Does this use more power then say going with a larger tank?

thepilo

Reaction score
This is my current setup.

This is my current setup. I just want to see what you think. Would you still suggest the 20 gallon tank, and the cpv1?

Thanks
Dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
A couple of close ups would be better. One at the side of the tank where the switch is and one where the pipe goes into the tank from the basement wall.

bob...

thepilo

Reaction score
Ok, I'll get that once I get off work in about 1-2 hours.

Thanks
Dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
OK Dan,

I see a check valve right at the tank but no schrader valve or no air release valve where the switch and gauge are. I think it's safe to assume you have no air making system. That means a small Bladder Tank and a Cycle Stop Valve would work great for you. The tank size would be a 42 gallon equivalent and I would recommend the CSV1Z brass valve in front of it. No more waterlogging and constant pressure too.

bob...

thepilo

Reaction score
Any reason to go with the Brass CSV vs the CSV150 ? Longevity, Wear, Reliabilty? The CSV150 is about $100 cheaper. I have a 40/60 switch BTW.

Thanks
Dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's brass instead of plastic, won't leak (the plastic ones can) it is adjustable, (the plastic ones aren't) and I'm sure it would last much longer.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks