Smell in bathroom!

Users who are viewing this thread

zab567

Reaction score
My master bathroom got finished being remodeled about 2 months ago. There was no drastic plumbing work during the remodel and no pipes were moved. There was no smell up until they took the toilet off to tile underneath. They replaced the flange due to the difference in flooring thickness. A few days after they finished up the smell remained in the bathroom and adjoining master bedroom. I checked the two sinks and there was water in the P-traps. I checked the shower drain and there was water in that trap. I closed the drain and put a towel in the overflow of the tub. None of these changed the smell. The only thing that helped was turning the fan on in the water closet and closing the door. Assuming there was something wrong with the wax ring, we pulled the toilet up and sure enough there wasn't a perfect seal. We put extra wax down and put the toilet back down. However, the smell remains after we are sure there is a good seal. Where could the smell be coming from in the water closet if it isn't coming from the toilet? There are no vent pipes in the walls there so no nails in the pipes. The toilet is the same as before the remodel started and no cracks. We are on a slab. Please help!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can the toilet move at all? If so, then it will break the wax seal...it will need to be shimmed to prevent it from moving, then reinstalled with new wax. Could it be the overflow of the sink? Those can grow some really nasty smells on their own.

zab567

Reaction score
The toilet doesn't move at all. Our sinks don't have overflows. Thanks for the reply; any other ideas?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
How 'bout pulling the toilet, shove a rag in the exposed flange, run the fan and see if smell still exists. Then we know its not the toilet if stank persists.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks