Anyone an electrician or know a good electrical forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

garnell22

Reaction score
Recently had the house rewired. Had an early morning wake-up call from the Pacific Gas and Electric SWAT team today saying that I'm sending current down their gas line!

They came in and saw that the house has been grounded to the gas pipe from the street just before it goes into the meter. This also connects to a new ground rod I had to have installed. I also have a connection on the main water pipe again with a ground rod. Need 2 grounds to keep San Francisco inspectors happy.

The PG&E guy told me I have to move the ground connection to the other side of the meter so it is on the pipe coming out of the meter feeding the house rather than on the main feed going into the meter. They say the meter acts as a breaker so this is fine for them (i.e. won't be sending anything down the gas main).

This all leads me to ask several questions

How the heck did PG&E know I had a ground on the pipe (what were their sensors picking up?)
The meter acts as a breaker? Really? How would that work?
If the meter does really act as a breaker then surely that would defeat the point of me attaching ground to the gas pipe coming out of the meter (i.e. it wouldn’t be grounded?!).

Strange morning. Does anyone have a clue about this stuff or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!

Cookie

Reaction score
If I were you, I would call the electrician who performed the work or their company, and the inspection dept that came out and inspected the work and passed it. And tell them what the PG&E told you, and let them deal with it. The electrician and the inspector should know what is required of them. Keeping in mind I am not an electrician just what I would do.

I would also, repost this in the Electrical forum right here, we got the best electrical guys you will ever find, right here.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If the meter does really act as a breaker then surely that would defeat the point of me attaching ground to the gas pipe coming out of the meter (i.e. it wouldn’t be grounded?!).

Strange morning. Does anyone have a clue about this stuff or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!
The meter or gas pipe does not act as the ground. What they are suggesting is, the gas pipe needs to be grounded on a water pipe or your main water coming in. The gas meter will act as a place for the current coming from an electrical system in your home to stop rather than continuing through your gas main.. In the event of a short circuit in your electrical systems, you do not want to carry the current to the gas mains. (that could run the risk to potentially blow up your neigbourhood)

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The gas and water pipes must be bonded to the neutral/ground at your electrical service.

The ground rods connect there also. They allegedly give the lightning somewhere to go.

The gas piping must be bonded on YOUR side of the meter, I have never seen a gas meter that was not conductive across it. Maybe they use some kind of insulated couplings on theirs.

If your neutral/ground wire failed between the pole and your service, voltage could be sent down the gas and water lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks