Hot Tub Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

bobpat

Reaction score
I have a few questions about running a 240 v 60 amp service for a Hot Tub.
My service panel is located in the basement and the Hot Tub will be on my deck attached to the house. The run in the basement is 30 ft, to where I go thru to the outside under my deck then another 15 ft to the tub. My plan was to run 6/3 ROMEX® from my panel to a weather-tite "J" box then use #6 THHN (4 wires 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground) in PVC conduit to a weather-tite SPA panel with a 60 amp GFCI located within 7 feet of the Hot Tub, then the use liquidtight, flexible nonmetallic conduit to the Hot Tub.
My concern is: Do I need to have an insulated ground from the Hot Tub back to my main panel in the basement or just to the SPA panel that is located 7 ft from the Hot Tub? If so then I would need to use THHN in conduit all the way.

Also if I can use 6/3 ROMEX® in the basement, the bear ground in 6/3 ROMEX® is only 12 AWG. Will this be an issue with proper grounding?

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You must use conduit and individual conductors for the outside portion of the wiring. This part must have an insulated ground. You can come into the back of the weatherproof box with the NM cable where you change over to PVC conduit.

The inside portion can be NM cable and the bare #10 ground is fine.

Keep in mind you can only have 6' of flexible. Use some rigid PVC to get closer to the tub then change over to sealtite.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
If you are under the 2008 code cycle and the circuit is protected with a 60 amp overcurrent device then #6 will not pass, the NM will need to be #4.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks