(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Cultured Marble or Tile for Tub Surround?

Default Cultured Marble or Tile for Tub Surround?

We are shortly going to be remodeling our bathroom and are considering the use of a cultured marble tub surround instead of tile in order to eliminate the problems that arise from time to time with tile grouting. Has anyone used cultured marble and how does it hold up and clean up compared to tile?
    A timely response would be much appreciated!

EDIT:
    One more question: This is a bathroom on a second story and we are considering whether a pressed steel tub would suffice or whether we need a cast-iron one. Cast-iron is extremely heavy to move up the stairs and also more costly, but we will do it if necessary. What do you think?
    Last edited by JordanJan; 07-08-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I looked at three bathrooms I did in cultured marble ten years ago, and they looked pretty good.

It's a very nice product to use.

http://www.veronashowers.com/master-bath-pictures

Designers Marble in Woodinville WA

Last edited by Terry; 06-03-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

cast iron is still probably the best - feels really solid, and truely hard finish. From what I've read, the steel tubs are easy to chip, and just don't feel good. If you reinforce the bottom of any tub (well, cast iron doesn't need it) with a drypack mortar mix or plaster, it will feel much stronger and closer to cast iron (and may last longer depending on the type you choose). My unprofessional opinion.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Thank you so much!

Terry and Jim -

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question, much obliged.

JordanJan

Default tub

There are thousands of cultured marble surrounds used every year with good results. The only thing good about using a steel tub upstairs is that after you take the box upstairs and open it, it is easier to take back down to return it because it is damaged. And many steel tubs are discovered to be damaged when they are unboxed.

Default Thank you, HJ!

Thank you, HJ, this is really helpful!

JordanJan

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I personally like tile better. Either can work well. If the walls are constructed properly and tiled well, it should last a very long time without problems. While epoxy grout can be a pain to install on walls (some brands are much easier than others), using it would almost eliminate the grout cracking that can occur, and it does not mildew, either (good ventilation makes a big difference). The tile in my parents bathroom is 50-years old and does not have cracks, nor has it had any. So, as I said, if it is installed properly, it is not a problem.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Thanks again, Jim

Thanks again, Jim.