Proper Caulk/sealant for shower surround

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
I've read some rave reviews on this site for Lexel sealant. I have a shower system (purchased at a big box) and I need to seal all of the seams (between the walls, and between the base and walls.

My local ACE only carries the Lexel Clear. Before I run all over town looking for Lexel White, I'm curious if this is the recommended solution for my application. I notice that Sashco also makes a mildew free sealant.

I considered using the clear in the deep crevices in the seams that would be unseen, and then going over it with a standard white caulk, but don't know if that is a good idea or not. Interested in feedback.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Caulk doesn't perform well when the depth significantly exceeds the width. If you have deep pockets, use some foam backer rods to fill in behind, then caulk on top of it. You'll save on material costs and improve the outcome as well.

As to the best choice...can't help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks