(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Closet Flange arrangement....

Default Closet Flange arrangement....

I am rounding the corner on my basement plumbing and had a final question on plumbing the toilet.

For the toilet I have a 4x3 hub/hub closet connector. I will need to put a 4" pipe into it to bring it to the floor level. Since I am not 100% sure what I will be doing with the floor I am not sure how high to bring the pipe. Is it better to just bring it up high, then cut after the fact? My fear is that I will not be able to cut the pipe flush with the floor, without damaging the floor. I was originally going to bring it about 3/8" - 1/2" above the concrete, then even if it was a little lower than then the floor, when I put the flange in, I would still get about an inch of engagement. What is the best way? Do you glue the flange in (I assume you do).

Basically, I guess the question is, should I bring the pipe about 3/8" above the concrete. I figure if I do Tile, I will have 1/2" of floor, but to be safe I would be a little short. The closet flange has about 1.5" of engagement, so even if I was off by 1/4" or so I assume I would still be good????

TIA...Mike

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you use an internal mount flange on the 4" pipe, you can leave it high then cut it flush with the floor when done. Just make sure it is plumb, or the flange won't sit flat. If you notch the tile first, you won't have to drill holes in the tile to mount the flange to the subflooring.

I'm not sure you're using that fitting properly, though. See what the pros have to say. You may have it in backwards, and for what you want, need a 4x4. You normally don't want to go from a bigger to smaller pipe, but I think there are some exceptions right at the flange...check to be sure.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Leave the riser high. I put down blue painter's tape, and then duct tape before cutting with either a sawzall or a Japanese pull saw. The painter's tape is just extra insurance so the duct tape would come off easier and not leave a residue that would inhibit the sealer for the tile from penetrating.

I consider myself an accomplished DIY'er. I don't know everything but help where I can. I'm not a pro, but like to think I'm professional.

One of these will also work...

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    One of these will also work...

I think I need one of them. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Mike