Split system compressor and dryer filter question

Users who are viewing this thread

kadet

Reaction score
I have a Rheem Classic condensor unit(10 seer 3 ton). I replaced the fan motor and the dual cap. My compressor is not running (ZR36K3 Scroll compressor made by copeland). I put a meter on the wiring connections on the compressor, and I get 200+ ohms C to R C to S and R to S. If the info I have is correct, the max I should show is 30 ohms. assuming the 30 ohms max info is right, then I have a bad motor, which means I have to replace the compressor. My question is this... How critical is it to replace the dryer filter when replacing the compressor. The unit is just under 8 yrs old. Also There is no dryer out side the unit between the foundation wall and the unit. Is it possible this unit does not have one, or is likely to be under the house after the line runs through the wall.
Any replies are appreciated

Last edited:

geno54

Reaction score
My question is this... How critical is it to replace the dryer filter when replacing the compressor. The unit is just under 8 yrs old. Also There is no dryer out side the unit between the foundation wall and the unit. Is it possible this unit does not have one, or is likely to be under the house after the line runs through the wall.
Any replies are appreciated

Very common not to put a drier in at the initial install, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. I would suggest having a reputable company come in to do a complete check to make sure you haven't overlooked anything. And yes driers should be installed after a compressor change, whether a mechanical or electrical breakdown. The system refrigerant has to be reclaimed and checked for acidity.

Msgale

Reaction score
i bet there is a small dryer somewhere in there, but if the compressor failed, you may have acid and burned insulation floating around yor refrigerant, more than the original dryer can handle.
You could try an add on dryer-filter combination soldered in the suction line just before the new compressor, hoping that it will protect the new compressor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks